CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

ongoing unsolved running problem - please help me

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ongoing unsolved running problem - please help me

ok ,so im riding about 20min. into it i hit a stop light and planed on making a left turn. i came to a complete stop and the bike turned off .... great. pushed it to the curb and started touble shooting on what could be the problem ... nuttin came to mind except for some odd reason i decided to lift the tank up ( had my back pack with tools) and as soon as i did i tryed starting the bike and boom she starts right up like nuthin ever happen.any help?

also have another problem .. i cant see how fast im going ...also the gas meter reads funny , when its on the kick stand it reads fine but when im sitting on it , it goes down.. any ides ?

Last edited by Sprock; 04-07-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

breather tube under the gas tank ( raise the gas tank) is kinked or blocked
creating a vacuum in the tank

when you raise the gas tank - check the fuel guage sender wires on the tank too

the breather pipe might have messed with them lol when you were
working with the throttle cables

Last edited by Sprock; 04-03-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:36 AM
Banned

Breather pipe issue for sure. If they get kinked they are a total pain in the a$$. Hope its sorted now mate. Cheers.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Registered Users

deff checkin it out today thanks guys

Old 04-04-2012, 01:11 PM

You mentioned a possible electrical problem. When it died, did any of your dash lights die too?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Registered Users

no none of my lights go off but i do notice some diming of the lights . also i changed the air breather and still the same problem. i checked the wires for the fuel sensor and they seemed fine .. think i should get a new fuel level sensor????

Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

R/R bad maybe and battery not charging ?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 PM

Yeah, while your checking everything, put a volt meter on the battery with it running and make sure its charging.

This may be a coincidence, but my fuel gauge used to act up. shortly after my RR went out. After I replaced it, all was well. Again, could just be a coincidence.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Registered Users

well the altinator is fine and so is the batery i checked both with meter. now that u mention the reg/rec mine does get a lil warm .. have to say this again cuz again it happen and again it worked im not sure if it has anything to do with it buuuttt ...i decided to take a different route home cuz for the second time the bike turned off in the same spot on the way to my friends house so on the way coming back the alternite route has a hill i have to go up and after i reach the peak theres flat land for about 300 ft. comes a stop sign soon i reach it ...boom.. bike turns off yet again ..i said f**k it i raised the tank and she starts up... i have a gravity feed just bought the bike a month ago and guy i bought it from had it that way and has a universal gas filter .. tends to run out of fuel in it and slowly fills.. could this be it ?????? could it be that its not getting its flow ???? i have a 3/8 hose over the petcock with a clap on it into the gas filter (previouse owner bought) and maybe the gas filter inlet /outlet is to small in reciving / sending the correct flow . thought i mite share that also

Old 04-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Registered Users

oooo .. failed to mention sometimes when the key is in on possition ( bike not on) the temp. meter flys to the roof .. lift the tank and things get normal again...

Quick Reply: ongoing unsolved running problem - please help me