CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Old bike - what everybody wants?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 05:13 AM
hmm
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old bike - what everybody wants?

I was stopped at the lights this morning and a guy on a GSX650 complimented me on my (clean) F-L. I told him it was not in such good condition, but he said 'It's what everybody wants these days'.
What did he mean?
If I'm sitting on an investment, is this a UK or global phenomenomenon?

Old 11-13-2015, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you seen the selection of 1000CC sport bikes from Japan today? It's either an ADV bike with dirt bike style suspension and metal boxes for luggage, or a track bike with Ohlins suspension and insect body-like design. Other than the "sport tourers" like an FJR1300 or ST1300, there's not much in the market for sale these days that combines sportiness with comfort in a 1000cc+ package. Enjoy!

Old 11-13-2015, 09:44 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out the $10,000 one Naga posted in Items For Sale, they are going up in price

Last edited by jarvid; 11-13-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:29 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think that people are becoming tired of the "HP arms race", but they don't necessarily want an ADV bike, they want a sporty bike that is usable and comfy...

Old 11-14-2015, 12:59 PM
hmm

I'm afraid my CBR is beginning to take too much of my hard-earned cash and is becoming unreliable for the daily commute.
So I went to my local Honda dealer for a look - didn't like anything I saw there except the Fireblade but that's a bit radical.
Why don't they still make the Blackbird?
I'm too short to ride an adventure bike even if I did like them.
However I've just succumbed to the hp arms race - I've gone and bought a Hayabusa. I hope that will be sporty enough AND comfortable.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do tell how you like it after some proper rides, one of my friends is looking for a new bike and the busa is on the list.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:40 AM
hmm

Originally Posted by Mattson
Do tell how you like it after some proper rides, one of my friends is looking for a new bike and the busa is on the list.
Matt
I expect delivery in a few days' time. Timing of my first ride on it will depend on the English winter weather...

Old 11-15-2015, 12:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hmm
I was stopped at the lights this morning and a guy on a GSX650 complimented me on my (clean) F-L. I told him it was not in such good condition, but he said 'It's what everybody wants these days'.
What did he mean?
If I'm sitting on an investment, is this a UK or global phenomenomenon?
I too, cannot believe how much of a decent bike you get for your money, and they still remain within most peoples budget, but the most tend to go for the angry insect looking bike, not sure why myself, but they certainly dont appeal to me.
So, I await for those prices to start rising, they will, one day.
But I tell you what, there is nothing nicer than someone saying how good the old ride looks.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:03 AM
hmm

Originally Posted by bullroarer
But I tell you what, there is nothing nicer than someone saying how good the old ride looks.
Yes there is: getting home without having to resort to jump starts!

Old 11-17-2015, 02:12 PM

I replaced my '94 CBR1000F with a 2010 BMW K1300S. Both out-fitted with GIVI bags, bar risers and taller screen, and soon to have a Corbin seat back on the BMW. I put both bikes in the same category, Sportour but 15 years and German vs Japanese does make for some adjustment.
Fuel injection, computers, shaft drive and electronic suspension controls put you in the future and a different tax bracket and service cost. Performance gain with 300 more cc and the FI make it a rocket. Modern brakes with ABS haul it back down better than any 20 yo CBR can dream about.
Dealer network is a fraction of what any of the Jap big four is, parts and service are more expensive and aftermarket options are more limited. The more sophisticated engineering can be pricey to maintain and even the DIY guys will have to invest in a lot more special tooling.
When I consider the cost vs performance gain, my wish goes right at a modern blackbird. Honda can hold up their VFR as the modern contender but the styling guys missed the mark by a mile for me. How about the modern VFR with 1986 VF1000 bodywork? The 2000 1100XX with integrated factory bags is an all day ride. Most guys will never use the 175HP of the K1300S, or have to go to the dealer to do basic maintenance.
I bought newer for parts availability and perceived reliability gains. You can't buy accessories for 20+ yo bikes. There are few new bikes that I care for style wise and I really wonder why a manufacturer doesn't build something for the street/sport-tour more like out 1KF machines.

Quick Reply: Old bike - what everybody wants?