CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Oil Pan leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan leaking...

So after a long winter, and doing some maintanance, I find some oil dripping off the drain plug. Replaced the washer and it's slowed a lot, but still weeping. So I'm thinking there is a spider crack near the drain plug hole. If there is (a couple of hi-res dig camera pics will help me see the area better) a crack, would something like JB Weld be strong enough to hold everything together or should I seek out somebody who has a TIG welder to run a new beed (TIG welders in my area are hard to find)?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts
Default RE: Oil Pan leaking...

I fairly sure that JB Weld would be able to stop the leak. I think the difficulty is going to be getting it clean enough for it to adhere. On the side casing covers it's easy to just remove it, clean it thoroughly, JB it and then put it back on. I wasn't sure on the Oil pan, but in looking through the manual, it looks like you could just drain the oil and remove the oil pan. Use the JB Weld on the inside and that I think would be fine. Much of it I think is going to depend on where the crack is and how its propagated. A crack in the threads of the drain plug hole would be tough.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:40 AM

Drain the oil, drain the coolant, remove the radiator, exhaust, then I have access to the pan...my concern would be the JB Weld holding up to the any expansion or contraction of the aluminum oil pan.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:31 PM

Should be no problem. JB weld is able to support 38,000 lbs of pressure. There is no pressure really in the case, other than blow-by. Get everything good and clean with some brake cleaner spray and sand the area to be appled first with some sandpaper to rough it up. If the threads are leaking maybe try a hilicoil with JB weld and use a slightly smaller plug. How do you think the pan got cracked in the first place??

Old 03-23-2008, 06:14 PM

Turns out it might not be the pan. My replacement clutch cover might is not sealing all the well, and the oil probably dripped along the inside of the fairing and onto the oil pan. Couple that with a reused drain plug washer for the spring oil change is what probably freaked me out.

Now the carb piston in my other thread has me annoyed...

Old 03-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try 7 regulators and 2 stators, plus 3 batteries for annoyance......I wish I had your problem - care to swap ?

Old 03-24-2008, 06:37 AM

Does yours run? Because mine doesn't

I'm going to have to put the GPz on the road because of this (not loking foward to using suspension that was designed before I was born)

Old 03-24-2008, 07:37 AM

Maybe we should start another fund raiser for Shadow and Malbojah for new rides....

Sorry to hear about the problems. I thought you were making some progress Shadow with that charging issue.

Malbojah, doesnt ANYONE have a spare set of carbs kicking around for you?

Gill

Old 03-24-2008, 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: GILL

Maybe we should start another fund raiser for Shadow and Malbojah for new rides....

Sorry to hear about the problems. I thought you were making some progress Shadow with that charging issue.

Malbojah, doesnt ANYONE have a spare set of carbs kicking around for you?

Gill
I'll probably glue the carb piston until I get to buying a set of 900rr carbs off ebay (cheaper than 1000 carbs with the same pistons)

This will most likely be my last year with the CBR as more expensive maintance issues are lurking on the horizon (cam chain and tensioner, new brake rotors all around)

Thinking of getting a Buell XB12R for some stupid reason. The bike talked to me when I test rode it a couple of years ago.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My ride is fine, for the moment, thanks Gill, just ranting a little. Bike is running again,Mal......
I have a set of carbs for you Malbojah, complete, but from a 90 model.......
I spoke to a bike mechanic friend of mine, and he suggested.........SUPERGLUE(believe it or not)
He says he's had tears in diaphragms before, and superglue and a little smear of silicon when glue is dry works just fine.
Camchain and tesioner isn't that bad costwise, but if you decide to look at options, look at the new 1125 Buell, 145 BHP, huge torque, better handling than the XB12R I'm told.....
BUT IT'S NOT A CBR1KF........

Quick Reply: Oil Pan leaking...