CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Oil cooler 'issue'

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler 'issue'

As some of you might remember, or see in my signature for that matter, my 1000F is undressed... I know it is a touchy matter, but give my Q a chance please
As with all nekkid ones, the stock oil cooler is placed in the open over the front wheel, leaving it vulnerable to road debris and the mount/bracket to the vibrations of riding and the engine... it's also blocking a small portion of my low beam.

So, I was thinking of removing that unwieldy thing and installing either one of those fancy 'modern' heat exchangers that go between the engine and the oil filter on most newer faster bikes I've seen.
The oil is cooled by a water jacket filled with cool engine coolant if that's a clearer description.
Or maybe a pic I googled will do the job, here are two from the four wheeled Honda's, just to help explain what I mean, not the actual part I want to use;
Name:  oilcooler3.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  18.9 KB

Or... I've also seen setups of bended pipe (with extrusions, a bit like those in between the rows of an oil cooler) as an oil cooler, located in a place were the wind hits it full on (for example, in front of the radiator)... I must add though that I've seen this setup mainly on power steering oil cooling systems.
Here's a steering fluid cooler from yet another four wheeled Honda, just to help explain what I mean, again borrowed from google;
Name:  9steeringcooler.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  166.2 KB

My question is this; has someone successfully relocated or changed the oil cooler or have any info about it?
The oil filter for the 1000F is so universal it fit's a list of Honda/Kawa/Yomama bikes a mile long (and then some), so the thread pitch/diameter/length must be the same, wich would mean I could just install the heat exhanger if I'd 'splice-in' coolant lines.

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting

ya mean like this

maybe coupled with this

easy enough I'd say , have not done it myself
(except with marine motors - done tons of remote
filtering and cooling with those !)

not sure I'd go adding more heat to the Hurricane existing Rad
with water cooling unless you upsized the radiator

another example with pics

Last edited by Sprock; 03-03-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:33 AM

Well, that diverter sandwich plate looks great, but if I were not to use a heat exchanger, I'd probably use the stock ports that the stock lines are connected to now.
Great links btw, I don't know half what's available anymore, I forget so much and I'm still young, I'll be 30 next year haha

Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 AM

Well ya that diverter as you call it pretty much lets you do what you want.

You could go with a dual atv type radiator setup etc - there's tons of options

here's a super mini cooler - very adaptable

and their complete oil cooler listings

and a veritable smorgasboard of ebay options

Last edited by Sprock; 03-04-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stefan2m
As with all nekkid ones, the stock oil cooler is placed in the open over the front wheel, leaving it vulnerable to road debris and the mount/bracket to the vibrations of riding and the engine... it's also blocking a small portion of my low beam.
Why can't it be mounted where the stock one was? It's up out of the way. Anywhere but up front defeats the purpose. It needs air flow to work.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 PM

I know it needs air flow Tim, that's why I'm looking at a heat exchanger based on engine coolant (and maybe upscaling of the radiator), and pondering about an air cooled alternative if that doesn't work.

To answer the Q; mainly because of the fact that the weight of the cooler itself is not supported by anything other than the bracket it's mounted on which goes around the forks from one upper radiator bracket on the frame to other.
While riding all the vibrations making the not so heavy cooler a very heavy one... those poor brackets had to hold it all up, the lack of support caused both to sheer of at the welds that hold 'm to the frame.
This off course happened during a longer trip, so I have the two of them zip-tied to the frame... I have to weld them back on, and don't want it to happen again.
And if the cooler hangs from the bracket, every time my forks dive in (hard braking, bad road surface, et cetera) the cooler bangs on the fender.
When mounted upright, it's in the lower (most important) part of my low beam.
And last but not least, it looks like a one man band who forgot to take of his harmonica haha

Old 03-08-2012, 06:16 AM

The problem with eliminating the factory oil cooler is that the CBR1000F uses a two stage oil pump, where part of the engine oil is sent through the oil cooler alone. I'm sure you couldn't block it off and I don't know if you could just bypass it, although in theory it should work.

What about installing a shield over the oil cooler like the radiator has?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 PM

A two stage oil pump hmm, that sounds interesting, how does that work exactly?
Is there a pressure relief valve or some sort of thermostat in the pump, or am I thinking in the wrong direction there?

For about a shield over the oil cooler; the main problem is that it hangs from an arm going around the forks, which is too much of a load due to all the vibrations from riding, and it's either in the way of my low beam or it's banging in my front mudguard.
So key is that I move it to somewhere between the engine and the front wheel (just like the radiator), or replace it by something that is small enough not to be in the way of whatever.

So I took my bike apart today, haven't been near it in at least 4 months now, so I had a refreshing look at it.
I was thinking of either using a modern bikes' heat exchanger based on engine coolant and connecting one port to the other without a cooler...
Or I could get some brass line to connect one port with the other, but loop it a few times so it is exposed to the wind for cooling.
Or I could mount a small (automotive?) transmission cooler in the lower front point in my lower fairing, and either drill holes in the fairing or cut a big hole in it with some mesh to protect the stuff behind... just 'brain farts' here though

Also, how hot does the oil actually run, assuming my cooling system is fully functioning (new coolant, thermostat, clean radiator, etc), can I get away with replacing the thing altogether with just some oil line from one side to the other and a different grade of oil that keeps lubing properly at higher temps?
It's not a circuit or race bike, I do run it hard sometimes, but not flat out all the time...

Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if you could just weld up a bracket to hang it below the radiator. May have to mess with the lines but the oil flow stays the same and the placement gets plenty of airflow.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:29 AM

and ya could go vfr style with side mounted coolers although this pic reflects the rad the vfr's oil cool
is tranverse across the front - just for ideas though this pic

Here's another interesting concept ! (scroll down- options)

Last edited by Sprock; 03-09-2012 at 04:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler 'issue'