CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Octane question for u CBR1000F folks

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 04:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Octane question for u CBR1000F folks

I have done some extensive research on octane, and fuel grades for a few years now, because I was curious about the same thing pertaining to my boat. I'm curious what you guys run in your 1000F bikes??? I have been testing a little with different octanes, due to the fact I want to see what peforms better. I have yet had the opportunity to run 87 Octane in her, but I will try that for the last. 89 seems ok, I could swear I got a power boost with 93 (Hesistation in the mid range got real small) Since I have the Yoshi's on her, I'm sure it has been jetted as well, that may account for the small backfire when the throttle is dropped while the bike is still in gear.

Due to the fact she has a 10.5:1 compression ratio, this isn't much higher than a standard vehicle so logically I think it should run fine with standard 87 octane gasoline. But what I am attempting to do is let the bike tell me by the way she runs. Of course I'm looking for opinions myself to what you guys have found on your rides, so please don't hesistate to respond!!!

By the way, what tires do ya'll find that sticks really well on the ground?? I'm running Dunlop tires, and I'm truly impressed. What kind of mileage can you expect from them??

Thanks, hope to hear from all of ya'll.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Octane question for u CBR1000F folks

The manual says to use as least 91ron fuel. I use 95 as its all there is in the garages over here. Want to be careful of detonation using lower octane dont want a holed piston.
Im running bridgestone bt57s and there fantastic for grip and mileage. Ran some dunlop d207's which had good grip but squared off at an alarming rate.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:37 AM

As far as ocatane i only ran 91 in mine. If your bike is jetted just a hair rich you could try the ethanol blend, the ethanol in fuel will actally lean out a mixture.

As far as tires and opinions, thats like opening a can of worms. It all depends on how and where you ride and what you want it to do. I ran metzler m-1s on mine. They were absolutely suberb. Nice mileage and good enough to run on the tight twisties and a track day or two.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:37 AM

Our standard unleaded is 91Ron and it runs fine.

I get better fuel economy in Summer with Premium (95 or 98). But our summer are 40degC temps.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:54 AM

I've been running 93 in mine, tried 87 a few times but noticed I didn't as good gas mileage, and I might have noticed a little less in the mid range for power. For rubber I had metzler m-1 and went through them pretty fast, granted they stick will in the twisties. I'm put on Bridgestones new BT020 which is a little hard tire geared more for ST'ing. I've liked it so far and it seems to hold up fine. I pushed them through some tight twisties and the stick just fine. I haven't done a track day on them. My next set of rubber I might try some Avon's, any one every had a pair of them?

Old 04-15-2005, 10:59 AM

Yes I have had a pair of Avons ST46&45

I find them fantastic. They have worn very well. They have a stiff sidewall so are good for the heavy CBR.
They also have a triangulated profile.

My bike spends 300-600km a week at speeds at a min of 150kph and i normally only get 5-6000k's from a set but I have got 8000km and still going.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the replies!!
I noticed quite a boost in peformance using the 93 octane gas, so most likely I will stick to it for fear of burning a hole in the piston. (I definately know what detonation is)

I'm running Dunlop 208's, and I love them!!! Especially when the sun comes out, and the ground gets hot. It feels like I'm stuck to the ground with glue. The only thing I have noticed is sometimes you can get the rear wheel spinning coming out of the turns, but that's kinda fun as long as its controlled!

Cbroar, the 208's are suppose to address the issue that the 207's had with squaring off! My tires are doing great! If u liked the ride of the 207's you should get the 208's, they are awesome.

I read a review on those Avon tires, they stated in the review (I think it was cycle world) that they had not tried them on Litre bikes yet, but on the 600's they tested them on they were proficient tires. I may have to give them a try.. But I prefer rounded tires to squared off!

Man, you guys confused me with atht 91Ron stuff... That must be European! I guess 91 is equvilent to 87octane here... If that is true, I know what your saying!

Old 04-16-2005, 11:40 PM

87 octane fuel, Pirelli Diablo CORSA's. CANNOT beat the grip of the CORSAS!!!!!! I have had mine thru the end of last year and the beginning of the year this year, I love them!!!

Old 04-19-2005, 09:15 PM

I've run 93 almost exclusively up until the last few weeks when fuel prices have been up.

I just finished off a tank of 87 octane and I could not tell any difference.

Note: I run a tank with fuel injector cleaner through it every spring to keep it cleaned out.

P.S. I run Dunlop D207s on mine. My rear is the wider 180. They last longer and grip just fine in all weather conditions.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:41 PM

Hi!
Eny one knew about what I would use-here in Thailand they use Gasoholic,and they say it is the same, and to use 91 octan,so thats what I have done, and it looks like it is ok.?

Quick Reply: Octane question for u CBR1000F folks