CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Now I have a brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I have a brake problem

O.K. New problem. [:@] Had my front wheel put on today. The guy at the stealership called me out and said, "you're gonna need to get brake work done"

I knew that my rotors were very thin and had planned on replacing them when some came available on Ebay, but while he had the bike up on the stand, it's all that I could do to turn the wheel. It's like the brakes were applied when they weren't. Well at least I have an excuse for greenhorning the clutch last evening and killing the motor at the stop sign.

Anyway, I'm in need of 2 front rotors and 2 calipers also. Anybody know where I can get them fairly inexpensive?

I don't want to buy new because the rotors alone are like $100-$140 each.[:'(] I paid $1200 for the bike and can't see putting $500 in the brakes.

Anybody parting out a bike on here? I might as well get both rotors and both calipers for the '87 'Cane

Thanks.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Default RE: Now I have a brake problem

Most likely your calipers can be rebuilt fairly cheaply. Rebuild parts/kits are available online. Don't forget to check the master cylinder operation as well. Sticking calipers are surely the reason you feel resistance on the front wheel when no brake is being applied. If you buy used calipers you may wind up with poor ones too. At least if you rebuild them you'll know their condition and operation is correct.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:44 PM

tallenuf,
Point taken. However, I just found a set of calipers on ebay for $29US.

That's my kind of price. And it can't hurt to have spares around for when I (or someone else) might need something, right?

I couldn't find them before because the guy put Hurricane1000 as his title. A shot in the dark paid off. I'memailing right now for the rotors.

He's got almost the whole bike, minus the plastics and stuff, up as a rolling chassis with a buy it now of $119.99US in North Uxbridge, MA.
Ebay item #330250262983 if anybody wants to check it out.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 PM

Riegnman, I totally understand the cash issue and at only $29.00 it is totally worth buying the used ones and checking them out! Good luck, hope they work fine.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:27 PM

Hey Reignman, I have the later model to you (89) as seen on page 6 of the 'Cleanest CBR' thread. My front calipers were giving me problems but I was lucky enough to buy a brand new pair of calipers off a 600 Hornet for a rediculously cheap price. Turns out the owner bought a Hornet and immediately upgradedthe brakes for racing. The hornet ones are identical calipers as my CBR

Now, I don't know what the bolt spaces are for yours but someone out there may be able to check to see if the F-K calipers will fit the F-J.

If they do then the Hornet ones will also fit and are much easier to find than (the same) calipers off something older.

Just for info, the F-K's calipers are also the same as early 600 Bandits, some VFR's, certain Pan-Europeans, Suzuki RF600 (not 900) certain Honda deauvilles and a few other bikes that share the same brake pad with partcode FA142.

Now, if someone knows what rear caliper will fit mine i'll be happy

Old 07-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your front wheel bearings for binding - replace them anyway - cheap and quick to do, and saves heartache later.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:30 AM

Steve, Great! Thanks for the heads up. I am looking at a set of rotors on ebay for $40+shipping for the set. They look pretty good in the picture but the title says 87-90 rotors.

Does that sound about right to anyone. That 87-90 would use the same rotors?

Thanks.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:33 AM

Hi,
Agree with Shadow here, chack bearings at same time. In UK, a set for front costs less that £10 ($18-ish). Not worth not doing. On the brake front, I would still get hold of caliper seals and strip them. The CBR calipers tend to get corrosion under the dust (outer-most) seal which starts to 'grab' the piston. I cleaned all mine out with a 'dremel' and now my brakes are really good. You can always tell a good caliper by how easy it is to get the pistons to drive back into their bores. They SHOULD be pushable under thumb pressure (ok HEAVY thumb pressure) but they should move. Before I noticed the corrosion under the dust seals, I need a 'G' clamp to shift them. It was also easy to polish the pistons using a buffing wheel on the dremel. All in this job should only be around £20 for both front calipers, and you will have the benefit of knowing all is well down there.....

Ara

Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 AM

If the discs are only $40 for the pair i'd have to have a good close up photo to look for wear and even ask the seller if he could tell you the thickness of them using a micrometer.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:04 AM

Just be sure its the calipers that are sticking and not corrosion in the proportioning valves. Ensure that you do a good flush of the brake fluid , front and rear afterwards. Its odd that both calipers are sticking on that hard at the sametime, which makes me think that you might have a problem of the fluid not releasing pressure elsewhere, even the master cylinder (dont forget the rear one!). If you can get them to stick on, crack your bleeders and see if fluid comes out. The only thing that returns your pistons back in your caliper is the seal, and like Aracanth said if they are siezed or stickingthey will still be locking on the caliper. If its a problem elsewhere the fluid will release the pressure after you crack the bleeder screw and the caliper will return on its own.

Good Luck Mate

Quick Reply: Now I have a brake problem