CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Not SURE ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 03:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not SURE ??

Okay I seem to have a problem that I cant exactly put my finger on it. I am leanign towards the Value Clearances as my 92 model with 95 thou Ks has developed a nose liek a Knocking ONLY when you have back off and idle after either re starting or a couple of small revs does it disappear. I have just had it on a 250 Ks run and it was runnign fine 200 Kls an hour in 4 th gear two up pulling 9 thou and not a problem but that noise came back when I stopped ??? Took the plugs out and they are all fine, it actually sounds like a piston slap but I am not sure sounds like one cyclinder is not actually firing properly like one value could have a bit of crap under it or its too tight ????

Anyone got any ideas please as it is really bugging me. I have the values doe approx 10 to 12 thous Ks ago.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:28 AM
dad
Default RE: Not SURE ??

Is it possibly a driveline/clutch basket rattle caused by a misfire? Maybe not something so scary as a piston or bearing? I wouldn't expect a valve problem to be intermittent but if it hasn't had a valve adjustment in the last thirty thousand or so, might be a good idea anyway.

I had a bad plug connector on mine that would arc through its wall to ground. It was intermittent and took some time to find. I finally became suspicious of spark and started to pull connectors to see what if I could narrow down to which cylinder it was. On one of them, as I got it off the plug and started removing it from the c'bore in the cover, I heard it snapping and then noticed arcing through the wall of the connector to the wall of the c'bore in the valve cover. That didn't seem right so I re-connected to the plug and then curled back the umbrella boot that sets against the valve cover. Using my thumb to roll back one edge, I could hear the spark snap, right in time with every cylinder miss. Found it, replaced the wire, and that was that. BTW, that wire was SPENSIVE.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:58 AM

A knocking noise at idle is quite often the Carbs out of synch.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:59 AM

Dad that is very similar to mine it isnt a piston slap or rattle as you can stop motor and then re start it and the rattle or slap isnt there there is a littel oil dripping from inside the rocker cover after its last value adjstment and service and yes it seems to have samll miss every now and then

Old 03-31-2007, 06:22 AM

Hi Trips its more of say when you come to the lights and you are riding in normal conditions after say 20 Kls or liek today after 150 Kls, and then she balances out I have turned down th eidle screw apporx 1/2 a turn so I will see if that helps. I thought it might be a negative back lash on one of the valves ??? as say when you re start she is nice and quite ?? I have had the tank up today and gone over the motor with the old screw driver to the ear and even the cam chain seems quite ???

Old 03-31-2007, 06:58 AM

id definately first try a new set of plugs as sometimes they cease under compression and seem fine when sparked outside of engine.
else could be water/**** in the fuel or just **** fuel!! perhaps.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:30 AM

Hi Forx, yep tried the new plugs today after my ride I gave tehm a clean that made some improvement. Funney thing she starts real easy and purrs, but that knock after it has run ??? I just went out and she did the knock thing and coming home I pulled up beside a bunch a kids and they were ready to try and show me what for ( Think they are still at the lights ) 10,000 1 st and 2 nd so as you can see the power is there and the knock didnt seem to be as pronuced when I got back , maybe it is petrol ???

Old 04-08-2007, 10:33 PM

Found out my knockign noise BAD fuel !! put a gut full of Premium and all good now

Old 04-08-2007, 11:44 PM

good one m8,nice when it turns out easy fix.
have noticed in uk here petrol is sometimes ****e quality from some stations.