CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

No top end power on my CBR1000F

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you've pulled the filter, the next thing I would do is pull the spark plugs. If they look bad, you may have a carb problem. If they look good, you probably have an ignition advance or compression problem. The ignition advance can be checked using any old timing light. If the timing is staying at TDC (the "T" mark), then the Pulse Generator is bad (about $50). If the timing advances from the "F" position to the mark to the right, then the timing is good.

If the compression is bad, it could be that the cam chain has stretched. A common occurrence on the 1000F. Or the valves could be leaking or the rings....

Old 03-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few factors that come into play with top end runs. Besides engine considerations wind, road slope, and air resistance come into play. My '91 will still be pulling pretty hard at 135 mph or so in 5th gear on a level road in still air with just me on it. Put hard luggage on, choose a stretch with a slight uphill run and a fifteen or twenty mph headwind and it works hard to run much faster than 125.

One of the early tests (1988) reported a top speed run of 161 mph, but indicated that if even a toe was exposed to the slipstream 5 mph would be lost.

Incidentally, one of the tuneup items you didn't mention was balancing the carburetors. That should come after plugs, wires, valves, carb check, etc. It can make a difference.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:27 AM

When you crack the throttle, try to look back, and see if ther eis black smoke coming out of the pipes. If is it, they it's running very rich. You could also pull a spark plug and look at the colour too. It should be light brown/beige. Dry black means rich, wet black is excessive oil consumption, white is lean.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:02 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you found the problem , let us know how your next high-speed run goes

Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 PM

Last time I was in Nevada was in '01 and was towing a heavy trailer. In the higher elevation the piuckup truck was pinging (detonating) like crazy and had to use premium fuel to have the engine run quiet. Also it was really weak cause of the high temps (+40C) and high elevation (lack of O2). Your bike will feel weaker too than if it was at sea level but it shouldn't have any problems getting up to at least 230km/h.

Quick Reply: No top end power on my CBR1000F