CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

No gas coming from tank to fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No gas coming from tank to fuel line

Please Help.
My dads bike wont start and after unplugging the fuel line and trying to start the bike we realized no fuel is coming out from the tank to the carb.I posted 2 videos so you can see what I mean. thanks.

[youtube]fTGyB4AeCow[/youtube]
[youtube]P_AENhlQ0Nw[/youtube]

Old 02-09-2011, 12:14 PM

I would say there is a blockage from the tank or a faulty fuel ****, might be a daft question but is there fuel in the bike ?, suppose a fuel pump may alo be at fault, if it was me i would start at the top and work my way down stripping and cleaning as i go. Sure some one on this fine forum will come along and set you straight though, sorry i cant offer any more advise.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:27 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a mark 3 bike and I don't believe they have a fuel pump, so that rules that out.

There needs to be a vacuum for the fuel to flow from the tank, if you suck gently on the vacuum line you should get fuel flow, if not you've got a blockage.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:28 PM

Call me a numpty if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware, the 1000F uses gravity feed, not a fuel pump. Must be either a build up of cr*p in the bottom of the tank of the fuel tap is blocked or the diaphram in the fuel tap has stuck.

Last edited by shakey; 02-09-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by hawkwind

There needs to be a vacuum for the fuel to flow from the tank,
I think the opposite is true. If you have a vacuum build up in your tank, fuel won't flow. You can try starting the bike with the fuel cap open, this might help. If it does, you've probably got a blocked vent inyour tank.

Last edited by pacojoseph; 02-09-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Hawkman is just saying that you need vacuum to the petcock (from the carbs) in order to actuate the diaphragm in the petcock and let the fuel flow. Vac in the tank is possible, though. I would certainly try with the tank cap open.

So... It could be that you don't have vacuum to the petcock. Inspect the vac line and then suck on it directly and see if fuel flows.
The diaphragm itself may be damaged or there could be a blockage. You can take it apart if you like, just make sure you don't spill fuel everywhere.

the 1000F uses gravity feed, not a fuel pump.
Yep. Only the 87/88 has a pump.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whilst it's always good to have an opposite view on things, Paco, I think the fuel flow on the Mk2 and 3's is governed by a vacuum unit on the petcock, operated by vacuum off the leftmost carb. If the hose is damaged or missing then no fuel atall atall.
A blocked tank breather could be the culprit, but if this was the case, the bike would start, then die, and there'd be a whooosh when the cap is opened. This kind of vacuum we surely don't need.
It may also be a blocked fuel filter in the petcock, or any of the other suggestions from my fellow inmates........
You could check by bypassing the fuel system straight from a bottle to the carbs and see if she fires. If so, blockage, vaccum hose or no fuel would be my guess.

FWIW.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Take a look at the position of the petcock. Maybe my bike is peculiar, but the arrow is in the closed position. Mine is arrow up for main, arrow down for reserve and the aroow pointing backwards for closed.

As far as the vacuum question goes and I'm using my bike as an example, of course your results may vary, it's gravity to the fuel pump, thoughg I imagine the fuel pump does draw from the tank when working

Old 02-10-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by wooferdog
Take a look at the position of the petcock. Maybe my bike is peculiar, but the arrow is in the closed position. Mine is arrow up for main, arrow down for reserve and the aroow pointing backwards for closed.

As far as the vacuum question goes and I'm using my bike as an example, of course your results may vary, it's gravity to the fuel pump, thoughg I imagine the fuel pump does draw from the tank when working

In both videos the petcock is indeed in the 'off' position. My 1990 uses gravity feed (no fuel pump).

Turn the petcock to reserve, arrow pointing down, apply vacuum to the small line on the petcock that goes to the vacuum port on the left carb, and you should get fuel flow. If not the tank does not have enough fuel in it to flow, the screen on the petcock that goes in the tank is clogged or your petcock is bad.

Last edited by ranchome; 03-12-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:26 AM

yep, petrols off by the looks of it.

Quick Reply: No gas coming from tank to fuel line