CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

nice bike is the hurricane...is this a good deal... newbie here

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nice bike is the hurricane...is this a good deal... newbie here

Hello everyone I am new here. I am a 21 year old kid that is looking for a first motorcycle and I was looking in the ads for a 250-750cc bike but I went to see a honda hurricane cbr1000f of 1988. Man I rode it for a little while and it is fast! I really like the heavyness of the bike as It feels stable at low speeds. I also like the gear changes they are crisp. The seller put a 1500 on it but I lowered it to 900. It is missing right fairing because of an accident a previous owner had on it and wanted to get rid of it because he didnt even want to see it. Now the current seller wants to get rid of it. He says the engine fan has a switch on it to turn it on. Is that stock?or did he adapt that? He says the engine fan should only be turned on during stop and go traffic and during freeway it can stay off. He says it needs to be fixed though I think.

As I am new to motorcycling I want to know if this a good decision in my life as a novice in motorcyling and new to purchasing motorcyles?

Here is the pic of the bike of course on the good side.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: nice bike is the hurricane...is this a good deal... newbie here

Can't say if it's a good deal without seeing it. Fairing parts are very expensive though and it wouldn't hurt to price these first. Also a compression test is a good idea and have a look at the spark plugs, they should be a nice grey brown colour.
This is just my opinion but I would start on something smaller, lighter and not as powerful. Yes they are stable but if you go into a corner too fast the weight can be a problem and line correction mid-corner due to crap on the road etc is easier to learn on something smaller. I dont mean to bring you down but I'm 40 and still here (so far)!!

Old 10-29-2006, 11:07 PM

yeah dave I hear you. i am also scared and dont know if I could do this safely. So I will first take a motorcycle safety course. But I would like to buy the bike and keep it in storage for 2 months or till I feel confident to ride it and then I will ride it. IF it is a good deal.

What sportbikes do you recommend to start with or what should I do?

Old 10-29-2006, 11:31 PM

The Hurricane is one big heavy bike. Try starting on a 600 first. I started with a VFR 750 and got into trouble fast. Then I stepped down to a Yamaha FZR600 and learned what I needed. Now I love my Hurricane and love being able to smoke the 600s.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:37 PM

I started out with my huricane. And I wish I could have started with something smaller but I am a VERY cautious ridder. I would deffinetly start with something smaller if I had to do it over again.

MDFF

Old 10-29-2006, 11:53 PM

You guys think this bike is big and heavy, try my Valkyrie![sm=insomnia.gif] This is my "small" bike. Seriously, for your first bike pick something much smaller and less powerful for the simple reason of safety, even if it costs more. I'd try to find an old 80's or early 90's 600 Hurricane or Ninja for $1000-$1500 and ride that for a couple years.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:04 AM

I hear you guys about the smaller bikes. But If I am a smarter driver I could take it easy and buy the bike and park it and drive it until I take the motorcycle safety course and get some solid wisdom on bike riding and use that with the hurricane coupled with my dirt bike and scooter experience about 6 years I am sure I can survive god willing.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:17 AM

It sounds like you have made up you mind. The rider course is a very good idea, but ultimately your life is in your hands and unfortunately the looneys around you.
Good luck with it and take it easy!
Dave.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:54 AM

i had made up my mind...but my aunts and my dad convinced not to pay the man to this bike... my aunt' s dissuasion tactics were: you are buying death!!!jorge!

really effective i might add to 21 year old kid...

Thats what i want to know: how to limit the control dave of the looneys around me...

Old 10-30-2006, 04:45 AM

I didn't listen to my Dad's advise as much as I should have, but he also was bike mad when he was young, and he once told me to ride as if every other driver on the road is out to get you! I know this seems a bit paranoid, but if you assume the car you can see waiting to pull out is going to, right in front of you, you will already have two fingers resting on the brake lever and your foot ready to go as well. If they don't; great, but if they do you have bought yourself a headstart as far as reaction time goes.
Do a good course and they will tell you many more ways to avoid the loonies, and try and resist the temptation (strong as it is) to jump straight on a big road bike.
I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching, as I'm still learning too, but the above piece of advice from my old man has really saved me many times, as recently as about three months ago and will hopefully do so many more times!
Dave.

Quick Reply: nice bike is the hurricane...is this a good deal... newbie here