CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New Pictures of finished project

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pictures of finished project

Here are the pictures of the finish project, I have included an old one to compare, quite happy with the full floater conversion.

Thanks Sprock for the help!

Before

Apres

Attached Thumbnails New Pictures of finished project-picture-015.jpg   New Pictures of finished project-picture-020.jpg   New Pictures of finished project-old-wings.jpg  

Last edited by Sprock; 04-06-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: looks great
Old 04-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bloody hell Carl that came out fantastic !

How's does she ride mon amis ?

You need to take that jazzed up sexy bike
south for a Lobster run this summer man

Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She looks great Dragon!

Old 04-07-2013, 05:24 AM

Thanks guys, no I haven't completely tested her yet as the way id not really cooperating right now, but from the feel, it looks fine, the biggest work in the conversion was getting the wheel machined, besides that I had to shave about .5 to 1 mm on some part of the caliper bracket, overall it took me about 20 minutes bolt on together.

I told my wife that this was probably the last mod as the bike is now where I want it but you never know, oh yes I have these progressives springs I have to put in the forks and also...

Also it might happen for a small trip south of the border as my wife has new camera and wants to take a lot of pictures...

Old 04-07-2013, 06:54 AM
Welcome Crew

crackin job dragon

Old 04-07-2013, 11:26 AM

Just went for a shakedown aroubd the house, still have a few thiings to sort out, i dunno if its drag on the breaks or the tire that came with the wheel but there is resistance in the steering, .

The bike rolls freely and when i am breaking it feels as if a disk is warp which is not the case will have to sort it out.

Any ideas?

Old 04-07-2013, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by DragonCBR
Just went for a shakedown aroubd the house, still have a few thiings to sort out, i dunno if its drag on the breaks or the tire that came with the wheel but there is resistance in the steering, .

The bike rolls freely and when i am breaking it feels as if a disk is warp which is not the case will have to sort it out.

Any ideas?
CBR1000F's have never been known for quick steering. Anything that raises the front, like higher tires, stiffer springs, and lowering the forks in the triple clamps can slow the steering.

Raising the rear of the bike usually quickens the steering. You can test this right now by cranking up the preload.

If you have a dial gauge, you can test both rotors to see if they are warped. Maximum runout is 0.3 mm.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:24 PM

Thanks slowpoke. I put back the original wheel and tire and all is fine and back to normal, I will have to verify one or two things, tire and disk are the same diameter, so probably brake drag because I was feeling the same has if applying the brakes when trying to lean: that kind of resistance. Don't forget this is an entirely new set up on this bike so we are in the unknown...

I will check with the spacer setup as it might have an influence.

More testing to go.

Last edited by DragonCBR; 04-07-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:22 PM

ok guys,

Sorted out first problem, played with the spacers and found the right setup, I can lean without resistance from the bike so brakes are not dragging anymore, just the normal stuff from sliding calipers. there a slight thing in the steering when I start leaning but I expect the tire to be the responsible ,it is a worn Bridgestone Battlax bt03 and probably not the same profile as my Avon storm 2. Which would explain it on top of being mismatch with the rear tire.

When I brakes it brakes as if the brakes are warped, again might be a few things:

warped disks
the guys whom did the machining on the rotor mount points did not do it equals everywhere. So the disks are behaving as warped.
Or the brake pads have worned according to the disks I have right now and might take a bit to adapt to the disk and vice or versa.

your toughts?

Conclusion to follow s I have to wait to get my hand on a Avon storm 2 tire to get as close to the present setup I have with the original cbr1000f wheel I have right now.

Getting closer and it is a nice project....

Old 04-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pop the tire - pull the rotors - level the the rotors using shims or some kind

Thin alum roofing shingle/flashing comes to mind as a shim material

Quick Reply: New Pictures of finished project