CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

new owner, finally got me one

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner, finally got me one

hey amigos,nice forum
l`ve been working my way through a dream bike list for many years now and l can finally scratch off "first gen 1000 Hurricane" whew ! l`ve owned a lot of bikes in the last 30+ years and l`m an enthusiast when it comes to iconic classics like the fully faired 87 l just bought. l look forward to posting some pics when l get her home.
The bike ? has 40-k miles , new tires and good chain/sprockets...sounds tight,good clutch,straight rims and bars. The bad? ummm... plastics complete but need work...it was black and still is,, but rattlecanned. No mirrors and needs seat recovered...rear hugger broken,front fender busted up, upper/inner fairing surround broken(around tank and gauges)...bur let`s see...has a V&H 4-1 and the whole bike cost me only $500.00 l`m pretty happy about that. l figure l`ll go with the flat black urban jetbike theme...any advice on what a new CBR owner should be taking care of? l will post pics...

Old 01-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the asylum !
I'd do a full fluid change - check for color on oil and brake fluid - if it's gone dark, get rid of it. Water 50% antifreeze with DISTILLED WATER.
Check the brake pads and rotors.
None of the above are crucial, but should be looked at for your own peace of mind........

Have a look in the technical section for a free manual, or go to
www.blackbears.ru

Old 01-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome, raceman!! Chit, $500 is cheap. Dirt cheap for one that runs. Hell, that's probably about what the pipes alone cost!

The only thing that I'd say to keep an eye on (other than the usual stuff) is the cam chain tensioner. If it stays really loud after she's warmed up, you may wanna look into it.
Also get a look inside the fuel tank and make sure there isn't a bunch of rust or chit in there.
Another common problem is the reg/rec. I'd make sure the battery is wet and voltages aren't to crazy.
Other than that, I'm looking forward to the pics.

Great bikes for sure. Good to have you here!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 PM

welcome to the forum man, if anyone can answer your questions the hurricane saloon is the place to go.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 PM

Welcome to the jungle man. I've been hanging out around here since this past summer and I can say this is the best crew your'e going to find.Good tech advice and cool to just hang out and chat.(I listen mostly) And congrats on the new girl. And a fabulous price for what you'll find to be a great bike.Doesnt matter what I pull up next to, I sit /ride proud on my Hurricane

Old 01-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome Race' .....saw some fenders and huggers out on the bay ya could grab
Enjoy the forum man

500 ........you lucky .......real lucky

Old 01-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. These bikes sure are a lot of fun to ride. Great price, well done. Post up when you can...

Old 01-30-2010, 04:57 PM

thanks,thanks amigos. l do tend to scour the `ol craigslist for the deals,hehehehe,,but yeah l really lucked out so far. l can`t wait to post pics because we all know the value of a pic-less post....kinda like someone telling you about their girlfriend,lol. the bike has a really great personality fellas,really nice....
snowing up good here in Baltimore right now,,hopefully still on for monday rescue of the new "mo-chine"

Old 01-30-2010, 07:43 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"

I can't say much more than what has been said. I love mine and so happy I made the purchase. These girls are head turners for sure. grendl said it best. I am so proud of mine and it amazing no matter what you pull up to, they want a look.

The only thing better than the bike, is the guys here. You got lucky in 2 ways! A hell of a bike and an even better bunch of guys from all over the world. I was blesssed to find this place. No matter the question or issue we'll get you through it.

Welcome aboard, where you from?

Quick Reply: new owner, finally got me one