CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New member with Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with Question

Hi everyone

I have a 1997 Hurricane with 50,000ks on the clock and have just found this site and wanted to ask for advice.Idid the annual Canberra blanket run on Saturday and during the ride (which was kept to 40 klm's per hour by the local police) had overheating problems. I wanted to ask is this a particular problem with the Hurricane. Bike is in great condition, the weather was a mild 15C so supprised to see the gauge sitting near the red.

Thanks

Old 05-12-2008, 02:37 AM
Default RE: New member with Question

Was your fan kicking on? If not, sometimes the sensor that is on the radiator that turns the fan on fails. Easy to replace or bye pass. When was the last time the coolant was changed?

Old 05-12-2008, 02:50 AM

Hi
The coolant was changed 10,000ks ago, as for the fan I dont think that I heard it come on so that maybe the issue.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:42 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the Forum !
Definitely a fan problem - bike may overheat in heavy traffic, but the fan will kick in before it gets more than 2/3 way up the gauge- +1 on what Gwiz said. Also check that the rubber cover which fits on the cylinder head hasn't moved, and stopped the fan, and the fuse hasn't gone.
The thermostat may also have stuck - easy enough to check and replace........
Those are the only faults that come to mind - let us know what you find please...

Old 05-12-2008, 08:14 AM

Check the rubber sheet guard that sometimes can (by shady mechanics) get caught up in the fan shroud preventing the fan from spinning. Also remember there is a thermostat that if its stuck closed, can cause the engine to overheat. Do you know if they replaced it when the coolent was changed? Was the coolent a 50/50 mix? I've seen people put in straight coolent in their enginesand it isnt mixed with water causing it to actually gel and not disapate heat properly. Just a few things to look for Silver

Since were on this topic, does anyone know how the water pump is drivin? I assume its a direct drive from the crankshaft?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:31 AM

HTTP://whelge.dyndns.org/fishcbr1/TN_E__1100.jpg
RTFM he he he..
Gear driven off the crank, Gill.......

[IMG]local://upfiles/22903/1D10139563D24152BA1BDEFCA6A18B8B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2008, 09:17 AM

Do you thinkits a metal drivin shaft or plastic from the crank to the pump? I'm just wondering if its a part that could wear out or break. Although I've never heard of one breaking.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:05 AM

I've never taken one off either, but given the heat down there, I would suspect it's a metal drive and gear- never heard of one breaking either...

Old 05-12-2008, 10:57 AM

A couple of months ago I changed the coolant on the radiator, I drained the whole thing until clear water was coming off, then I add new coolant and fill the reservoir deposit, but apprently I over fill it and now if i stay let's say in a traffic light for a while and the fan goes on, the coolant starts spluterring from the deposit, leaving a small puddle of green coolant,sine a couple of weeks ago this is becoming not frecuent any more, does this means that the deposit reached it's optimum operational level? the mark line in the deposit looks fine.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 AM

It was probably air locked, but a few good rev's when its hot should even things out. Its difficult to get the air out, especially out of the upper radiator hose that travels across the top of the head. Ensure your resvoir is topped up afterwards. Do this when the engine is cold.

Quick Reply: New member with Question