CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

new member going CRAZY!! plzz help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member going CRAZY!! plzz help

I just bought what im now finding out to be a basket case 87 cbr 1000f. the man i bought it from said that he had a performance shop in chicago bore and stroke the engine has hurricane carbs which looks identical to stock even has same jets 122's anyway, has a new timming hall effect switch thing that runs the coils i assume it is on the left side of motor behind the plate. i just had to put 2 new coils on it. has some 4to1 full race header exhaust pipe. has newer plastics off of a 93 i think. the swing arm was stretched like 6in by the looks of it. does have new tires new brakes different sprocket we think has a k&n filter all kinds of crap. sorry just wanted to try to give you some background now for the Question. what would cause the bike to start up cold no choak or anything just cranks over like 2 times then VROOM. but when i take off to ride it after like 1/2 mile or so it starts sputtering and starts loosing power" have to feather throttle " then before i get 3 miles it completly shuts down like it has either no spark or it lost its timming signal to coils something and no matter what you do it wont start back up. i have taken apart the carbs multible times replaced and set the needle valves to 3 turns out have totally cleaned which was kinda useless considering they were spotless. checked the diaframs and pistons in the carbs and used the ky trick someone said to do on here works great by the way. also set the valve clearances using the AWSOME step by step instructions on here i think the name of the post was like SO MANY PICTURES or something anyway again AWSOME post made the job so easy and by doing this i could tell that the motor itself is in perfect time. i did all the checks that the haynes manual yall have up loaded to the sight said to do to check the fireing system and all but the coils were good "hence replacing them" had new plugs "NGK" gapped and installed had battery fully charged. thats all i can think of right now that i have done to the bike to fex this problem but i am just so tired of nothing working ive been on your site daily trying to find out what it might be and put almost 60hrs of work in this bike and still cant ride it. i used all my savings to buy this thing and now i cant even ride it will you plzz help me and again sorry about the longest single post ever

Old 06-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe if you post where you live you might be able to get one of the really knowledgeable guys on here to come take a look see for you. Good luck

Old 06-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Default still messing up

i let it cool off for like 2 hours went down and it fired right up tested to see if maybe the alternator was bad but it was charging ok took if for a trip around the subdivision and didnt even make it 300 yards and then died again like before pushed it back home and checked the plugs for fire by grounding to motor and nothing

i live in st. clair, missouri about 40 miles south of st. louis on hwy 44
if there is anyone near that knows they could help would even give gas money if you like you can call me today at 636 629 0334

Old 06-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well one thing is I bet it has and after market airfilter on it. With the header and single out. I bet it needs to be jetted. or could be an easy fix and check the fuel filter and fuel pump.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also if you have 93 plastic on your bike, you Better be posting some photo's up.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:53 PM

already checked the filters and pump and it does have an K&N air filter but its not running rich anymore since i adjusted the carbs the bike runs great till it looses spark after it warms up

Old 06-03-2010, 01:55 PM

you know im really not sure what year body it has but i think it is a early 90's

Old 06-03-2010, 03:55 PM

Hi matey if your album picture is of the bike you are talking about then it is a 87 body but the indicators in the fairing have been filled and different obe fitted. if you check out the pictures of mine you will see what I mean. As for you running problem, it sounds like you have a reallt frustraiting problem. With all the clever folks on here you should get it sorted, good luck mate.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:16 PM

i hope someone can help me i so want to go for a ride all my friends got bikes this summer and their all out riding and im stuck at home working on this I&%&%#$#& thing

Old 06-03-2010, 04:35 PM

I would start simple first with the fuses, see if any are discolored or partialy burnt through and replace them. If that doesnt work start back tracing the electrical problem. Since its not getting spark after warm check to make sure the coils are still getting power after warmed up and it dies. If you still have power there back up to the next part of the ignition system. Check for any wires that are streched tight, I have seen broken wires work when cold and then when they get warm the insulation stretches and loses contact.

Quick Reply: new member going CRAZY!! plzz help