CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New Hurricane - Ric

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011 | 09:44 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

OK agreed that could have been it. I just found it strange all 3 bikes were Cali models. I will tell, that my 88 would eat any the 3 newer bikes at first and we had plenty of autobahn to try it on and after removal of all the Cali Em stuff and the restrictor cones the opposite was not true but all pretty close. I wish I had a Dyno back then, and would have keep a set of the restrictors just to have them. The were about 2mm thick cones that went in the rubbers, and if it was not for the M/C mag article on how to remove them, we would not have know why those bikes were such pigs compared to mine.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 08-03-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2011 | 09:52 PM

Heres a pic of my Pair system. You can see the exhaust header (super rusty) and right above it is the pair inlet. For what its worth Im in NJ and was lucky enough to get the CA model.

Name:  100_4454.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  62.7 KB

Old 08-03-2011 | 10:39 PM
Administrator - Retired

and would have keep a set of the restrictors just to have them. The were about 2mm thick cones that went in the rubbers
I've seen a pic of those. Apparently there are a couple different kinds of them. Here is a pic of the aluminum ones that were in a German bike that ended up in Finland (I think... lol)

Heres a pic of my Pair system. You can see the exhaust header (super rusty) and right above it is the pair inlet. For what its worth Im in NJ and was lucky enough to get the CA model.
Yep, that's a cali PAIR bike alright. I had the same thing. Removing all that crap is a bit tricky. You have to take your time and dissect it all... kinda tune as you go. Here's mine from the top side.

Before:

After:

Name:  After.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  72.4 KB

It's even cleaner now. This was just the initial work.... getting rid of all the big stuff. Then I just clipped back all the lines and made it look "normal".
I decided I wasn't going through the BS of removing all that crap just to check/set valves and such.

Old 08-03-2011 | 11:07 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

The after looks tons better, good job on making it look normal.

Those restrictors now remind of NASCAR and their restrictor plate racing junk.

At least you can just remove them, thank goodness for that.

Dub

Old 08-04-2011 | 12:18 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

Look's like I started something here - not my intention, just a heads up when you have the need to look (if ever)
And you are spot on with Germany and Swiss bikes Trout - I don't know about Finnish or French bikes.
It IS however an interesting question and has raised many eyebrows in the past.
As the silver and grey bikes were made originally ONLY for California (which is why it's called a Cali model) I'm willing to bet that it has/had the spaghetti junction and lower power output to start with.......
Hey Ric, at least now you can SEE what to look for

Old 08-04-2011 | 04:20 AM

Hi and Welcome Rick.. Very nice looking bike

Old 08-04-2011 | 08:24 AM
|

Thanks everyone.

I'll definitely check, once I get a chance...haven't had the tank or plastics off yet.

I'm guessing it's ' been unrestricted' — as there's a DynoJet sticker under the seat and I can't imagine swapping jets w/o pulling restrictors , etc.

The bike also pulls noticeably harder than a couple other similar weight 'liter-bikes' in the 100hp range that I've ridden — which also tells me it's probably a non-issue on this one.

I'll let you know. Thanks for all the input.

'Plan B' is my company's name BTW.

Old 08-05-2011 | 09:34 PM

Great find on a great looking bike!

Old 08-05-2011 | 10:02 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Originally Posted by Shadow
As the silver and grey bikes were made originally ONLY for California (which is why it's called a Cali model) I'm willing to bet that it has/had the spaghetti junction and lower power output to start with.......

interesting tho' Pete I got my "Cali" from the original owner , he got it new
in Massachusetts and said there was never a PAIR system on his. I believe him he's a cop and "that" kind of Guy ... so I dunno - not all were
PAIR'd up ........potentially imo ! and I have never seen signs of plugged or chopped hoses or pair canisters etc

Quick Reply: New Hurricane - Ric