CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New chain came off

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New chain came off

So after a short run from work back home at speeds up around 95 mph at times. I reached the neighborhood and rolled thru a corner and shifted up and got a pop and engine rev'd out with no movement. So at first thought was tranny issue. So i coasted as far as I could hen looked at the bike to see the chain piled up on top of the exhaust pipe. So after cussing the guy that put it on for me "lol" I thanked heavens that it didn't happen while I was out on the HWY. So I had to push her home about 3 blocks, and to make things worst I dropped her. It scratched up the fairing guard and exhaust shield and and balancer cover. Also bent the front brake lever, which I'll have to just get matching color levers. HAHA
The guy that did my chain for me is an experienced bike mechanic and when I told him what happened it practically went number 2 in his pants. lol
He says he's done thousands of chains and never once has had one come off.

So I just thought I would share my story of the day with the ole hurricane.
Like I said I'm just glad I'm safe and it didn't happen on the hwy.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Play the lottery today - you are lucky it did not happen at 95

Question - rivet link or clip ?

Old 06-29-2012, 08:51 AM

It was a rivet link.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 AM

wow - did the rivet master link heads not get pressed/spread enough ?

Where did it separate ?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:08 AM

Yea I'm thinking that was the case. It separated at the master link. Funny thing is after it was done I had thought to myself I need to check it with my caliper measure. But then I started something else and forgot about it. I won't make that mistake again.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!
Lucky man !
I've heard a story about a chain that hadn't been oiled, snapped and went straight up through the rider's spine and killed him. May be an urban legend but I've always said check EVERYTHING anyone else does to your bike............
You live to ride another day, thank goodness !

Perhaps a change of mechanic may be in order.....................................
or a visit to the hardware for your own chain link tools.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:31 AM

Extremely lucky and that mechanic luckily just ducked some major liability too into
the bargain !

Like Shadow just said

Seriously - I'd be buying a motionpro chain kit and a new master rivet link kit and
do it yourself that way you know for sure

I'm guessing he used the hammer and punch technique - not a precise way to spread
/ mushroom the heads on the rivets !

The rivet tool spreader has a specifically shaped button cap on the end that gets it just
right with an indented receiver plate for the backside of the link that prevents the
rivets pushing through as they are being mushroomed out

A hammer and punch just pushes the rivets pins out the other side - rookie and
potentially deadly mistake by that mechanic if you ask me

Last edited by Sprock; 06-29-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:49 AM

Seriously - I'd be buying a motionpro chain kit and a new master rivet link kit and
do it yourself that way you know for sure
I am thinking of doing it myself this go round. I originally wanted to in the first place but wanted to make sure it was done right since I had never done it. So with this happening I feel that I should've gone with my first instinct.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
wow - did the rivet master link heads not get pressed/spread enough ?
The argument I always get is that a riveted chain is much stronger than a chain with a clip type retainer.

The links are made of pins and plates. The master link plate needs to say on. The clip type, when put on properly does its job just as well as a properly riveted link. That would be the closed end of the clip in the direction of travel.

I have not heard of a properly install clip type chain coming off. Turn the clip around and it WILL come off.

On the other hand, a riveted link when done incorrectly will come off. If you over flare the pins, they crack and the holding surface falls off and then the plate slips off. I have seen a few chains with over flared pins, just as bad as ones not flared enough.

Blackdog91, There is no reason not to do the chain yourself and put a clip type link on as long as you do it correctly. I have clip links on 2 of my bikes, the 1kF being one of them. I have a chain tool but the clip is quick and easy and just as good.

Sure the argument is the riveted is stronger and I will agree that the force in a press to separate the links may be higher for a riveted link but, the forces the chain undergoes is tension not a side pulling force.

One more thing, never spreed the clip as it weakens and distorts it. Use pliers on a pin and end of clip to push it on or off, never spread it with a screwdriver. OK, you can spread the old one coming off because it's garbage after spreading and you are going to replace it anyway.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 06-29-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:21 PM

After all the research I did all angles said not to use the clip-on. The chain came with booth. I called the manufacturer and they even recommend to only use the rivet link.
So for now I guess I'm down for a few days.
I'll be out of town anyways so it won't be so bad.
I ordered the motion pro chain kit this morning so it should be showing up about the same time as the master link.

Quick Reply: New chain came off