CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New cam chain/tensioner/guide. No power ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could not take it any longer with my hurricane down in the dumps. I drilled out the broken bolts. Put heli-coils in and am back where I was before. I lined up the marks once again with them dead on since I removed the intake cam while drilling. I am getting really good at this. She started up pretty good, idling good, sounds different, not healthy like before. Does not rev up quickly, like before. I took her out for a spin and had to rev her up to go, othewise she would stall when letting the clutch out. Power is embarassing.

If the marks are lined up correctly on the cam gears,crank, with the cam chain tight , and she starts up, then the timing is right, correct? Does not overheat, idles good. I let her idle for 15 min she was fine.

What else could it be??
Carbs need to syncronized?
Valves need adjusted? Since the intake cam was removed ???

I even installed new plugs, the old ones looked good by the way.
No more bucket of bolts when she is cold on start up. So I did that right.
By the way I installed a new cam tensioner for a 93 and up. She is very quiet on start up.

What contols the ignition advance....? Maybe that needs replaced.
I am stumped and miss the hell out of my healthy Hurricane. Any ideas.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

First of all, well done on that achievement. Heli-coiling isn't easy.
Makes you remember to use a torque wrench when re-assembling in future eh?

Now WTF can be wrong here? Can you remember if you've taken anything off during the work or disturbed anything that may not seem obvious right now. I'm just trying a bit of memory jogging on you Matt.
I once took off the ignition sensor and fitted it the wrong way round. It took me like a whole day to figure out what I'd done and all that happened when I tried to start her was back firing and a flat battery. It could be something that simple that you've missed somewhere along the line.
I don't buy into the theory that the camshafts need rotating out of spec to get her running right.
If it was running right before you did this it should be running right when you've finished. I'll keep racking my brain but I can't put my finger on it just yet.
I'm so glad you got the drilling out of the way though. Hope you've had a few beers on the strength of that. Much deserved.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 AM

All
I am going to check all connections today. I startr her up yeserday and let her idle for 20 minutes. No problems. Still have to really rev her to move. Maybe I don't have one of the carb boots attached to the intake on all the way causing a leak. I'll check it out today.

Thanks for all the support, it really helps! I'll keep trying to get this beast running like she did before.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:09 PM

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I've learned that lol when I was young... good luck man

Old 03-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Talking

All
I found the problem. The # 1 igntion wire is not firing. I went into check the timing with a light and hooked up the timing light wire to the #1 plug wire and my timing light did not work. Well I know the light is good. I removed the timing light connection . I then started the bike up and then pulled the #1 plug wire off the plug and nothing happened at all. The cylnder was not firing at all. I then took plug wire off #3 and put it on #1 and it fired fine. So the coil is good, but the #1 plug wire is broke inside somewhere. I cannot see the break.

Well that would explain the different idle. Also would explain no power because she is only running on 3 cylinders ! The wires are only 23 years old ! When I pulled them out of the way to get acces to the valve cover I must have broke the#1 plug wire on the inside.

Wow what a event this has been. I already ordered a set of wires for the bike. I won't get them until late this week. Looks like I will see another 50k on the ole girl.

I'll keep you all posted.

Matt

Old 03-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bloody fantastic mate!!

Well done with pressing on when the going got tough! The two of you will be even closer now.

Pretty sh!tty of the lead to break down after only 23 years...bloody Jap bikes.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:46 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations Matt!

Well done for getting this solved and well done to Henry and Steve!

Sometimes you can get too focused on an issue and forget to check the basics, air/fuel/spark

Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Top effort mate.

So are you saying that is what a 750 goes like?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 AM

I just read this thread, and I want to tell you Congratulations! Glad you didnt part her out and you kept going!

Quick Reply: New cam chain/tensioner/guide. No power ???