CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

A New Bone Dome

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A New Bone Dome

Hi peoples,

I am looking at buying a new helmet soon and thought I would ask you lot what you have and what you would like/recommend.

I am looking at a modular (flip front) helmet for ease in wearing glasses and would prefer one that is quiet and has bluetooth capabilities.

I've been looking at Schuberth C3 pro, Shoei Neotec and Shark Evoline 3.

Any recommendations, does anyone own any of these?

Any input would be appreciated.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:57 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Best thing is to try them and read reviews.

One tip about drop down sun visors though, my visor has a pinlock fitted, so never mists up, but drop the sun visor in cold sunny weather and it mists up pretty badly. Just something I never considered before actually wearing my helmet in real world conditions.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Hi Hawk,

I will certainly be trying the helmets on to get a proper fit but I can't find anywhere in the UK that will let you ride with them before you buy which is why I thought I would ask the friendly people on here.

I have read all the reviews I can and these look like the best helmets of the type I want and just thought I would ask if anyone has any input or owns any of these to give me a first hand opinion.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

This is the one I ride with, it fits the specs you put forth.
CL-Max II Solid
My choices are somewhat limited with helmets as I have a giant melon.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:49 AM
June 2013 ROTM

I have a Scorpion EXO-1100 now and love it. Never fogs up on me and has the drop down visor. I know scorpion has a few options in modular, so I'd check them out. Opposed to pinlocks, the scorpions use a coating on both sides of the sun shield, as well as the inside of the visor. The sun shield has never fogged up on me, and that's riding in some cooler, humid mornings..

I had a Shoei before and it was fog city. YMMV. I'd say just get what feels most comfortable. Most name brand helmets nowadays offer very comparable levels of protection, so the fit and feel is the deciding factor.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:03 PM

I tried on a number of different modular helmets as I was trying to solve the glasses issue as well. I found that they still were likely to strip the glasses off my face going on or off. The premium helmets having very plush padding still grab the temples and push the specs around. IMO it was less hassle to just remove the glasses and hang onto them.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nolan N90 here. Been pleased with it but does have some bits that could use an improvement.

-bit on the heavy side with 1600g
-the face shield could rise further up cause it hangs on the front side of the helmet so it pulls your chin down a bit when open.
-the lock that holds the front up is stupid, you CAN use it with one hand but clearly it`s not either meant to be used one handed, meant to be used when moving or just plainly not thought through
-The N-com system is rubbish and has to be bought separately. The mic hits your lips all the time and for music listening from my smartphone even max volume is so quiet the road noise covers it completely. Removed mine.

plusses:

-Pinlock as standard, love it, never gonna buy another helmet without it
-No-tool visor change, easy and fast. I like using the mirror/smoke at daylight and clear when dark.
-fairly quiet (further says N-com stinks)
-the air vents are asy to use with gloves on, not at all a default feature from my experience.
-removable and washable inner paddings.

...albeit to my knowledge discontinued and replaced by the improved N-104, not ertain about improved how exactly.

Never owned a Schubert but the ones that do seems to praise by the name.