CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New 1000F Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New 1000F Owner

First thing i'd do is swap the coils and see if the problem moves to other cylinders which would confirm a faulty coil.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking that. Do you know though if they're prone to failure? If they are, and they're not expensive, I may just go ahead and replace both of them anyway just so that I know they're both new and good.

I think I"m going to take the carbs off this week and give them a good cleaning as well.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:03 AM

Welcome to the forum,
Is the battery fully charged? CBR1kf is very picky about battery.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm guessing it was when the previous owner first tried to start it. I had it on the charger/starter when I was trying to start it. I fully charged it 2 days ago, but haven't had a chance to mess with it since then.

It's good to know they're picky about the battery.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:01 PM

Hey, I live in VA too, Hopewell. Your profile said Central VA, is that Richmond? I also own a 91 1000f. If you want to test anything on mine to help see what your problem is, let me know. I work in downtown Richmond. email is on my profile. Cheers!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 AM

ORIGINAL: robe1000F

Hey, I live in VA too, Hopewell. Your profile said Central VA, is that Richmond? I also own a 91 1000f. If you want to test anything on mine to help see what your problem is, let me know. I work in downtown Richmond. email is on my profile. Cheers!
No, I'm closest to Charlottesville, sorry. Thanks for the offer though!

I actually got it idling again this weekend. I checked out the air box which had a brand new filter in it and everything looked good inside. Sprayed some Seafoam down into the carburators, which allowed me to start and rev it without problems. I checked the plug connections and locations against my manual (which turned out to be fine) and all cylinders are getting spark. I'm now convinced that it's a fuel delivery problem to cylinders 1 and 4. I tried messing with the choke and stuff while it was idling and trying to get it to rev a little, but every time I give it just the smallest amount of throttle, it dies. I guess it's time to start checking out all of the fuel delivery and possibly pull the carbs off for a good cleaning. I've run all of the bad gas I could out of it and replaced it with new good gas and fuel system cleaner. I think that's helped the carbs that are working as it will idle whereas it didn't before. I just need to get it to pull the new fuel through the other 2 carbs I guess to clean them out.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:16 PM

Okay, I messed around with this thing a little more last night after talking with some other motorcycle owners.

I pulled off the carbs and airbox, checked and found that the needles didn't seem like they were moving too well. I sprayed some seafoam on them and moved them around until they moved better, then put the carbs back on. Sprayed some seafoam into each carb and got it to start and run on the seafoam. Ran and revved it a little until it ran out. Seemed like it did okay, thought I had it nailed Reassembled it and same problem. It'll start, idle and then as soon as I try to hit the throttle, it'll die.

I thought to check the fuel filter, only to find that I couldn't find one. Do the 1000Fs not have a fuel filter in them? Is it in the tank or shut off valve if there is one?

I really want to get this thing running. Everytime I see a motorcycle on the road, it's like it's taunting me.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it. What should I look out for when riding this bike aside from typical riding and safety stuff from the DMV manual (the bike's all stock)? In all honesty, this is my first street bike ever. I just got my learner's permit. I'm 28, so I'm not as young, stupid and careless as I used to be. I used to trail ride with an old dual-sport when I was younger too so I'm not brand new to motorcycles (I've been thrown too, so I know what COULD happen). I just know these bikes aren't necesarily for beginners, but since it's all I have right now, it's what I'll be riding.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:58 PM

Hello!
I'm a new owner of 1000F too.
i bought it last saturday and i've done almost 1000 km on it till now.
freakin good bike!Fast comfortable for me and passenger and it's a real legend.
I've an'87 model preety good condition(i hope).
P.S.happy to found this forum,finally some people with hurricanes1000F rocks!

Old 05-21-2007, 02:47 AM

Welcome to the forum Freebie!
nice ride, I have owned a 1000F for 14 years (it's a '93).
Your fuel delivery problem will be related to the idle jets in each carb, can almost guarantee it.
take the float bowls off one at a time and spray a good carb cleaner or I prefer brake cleaner, (used VERY sparingly). I know I will get flack for that one from forum members. Brake cleaner tends to eat o-rings & seals.
there is a CBR manual that shows really good exploded views of what you"re working on
I can't remember where I saw it but it is on this forum somewhere. Other members may know.
good luck.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

If I get time tonight (doubtful with a 20-month old running around), I'll pull the carbs off again and see if one of the manuals I have has the diagram you're talking about.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the thing idles fine, it's when I turn the throttle that it dies. Wouldn't that indicate that the idle jets are working okay? I'm no carb guru by any means, but based on the name I would assume that if I had a problem with the idle jets that I wouldn't be able to get it to even idle period. Or, are the idle jets part of the throttle circuit?

Quick Reply: New 1000F Owner