CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Need help with a starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a starting issue

My '91 just developed a starting issue that I cannot seem to get my head around. I've had the bike since this summer and it has always started fine until now. The problem started when I decided to do the stick coils mod. So, I do up the harness and get everything hooked up, hit the starter and the bike spins over as always but doesn't fire immediately as it always has before (full choke). So, I let off the button, press it again and nothing happens-no starter motor. So, I check fuses and just generally look around for something amiss. Everything looks good as far as I can tell. So I end up using a screwdriver to jump the two posts on the solenoid and the engine spins over but still doesn't start. So, a week goes by...

Today I decide to convert it back to the original coils, because I'm grasping at straws now. Same deal, no starter when i press the button, but will spin over when jumping the solenoid, but still no spark. Battery is new and fully charged. I have a new solenoid coming, but don't really think that is the problem. Anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty hopeless at electrics, although i can follow directions reasonably well.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Well if it's any help, your problem definitely sounds electric. Not my area of expertise, but if we have a failure on both the ignition and starter circuits, with confirmed good battery, we would definitely want to reconfirm fuses, especially the main 30A fuse (located on the tail, at the right rear of the bike - near the rear brake reservoir). Besides the battery, it's the only common element to both the starter and ignition circuit, so that's the prime suspect as far as I'm concerned

If that fuse is good, you would need to work down the starter schematic to determine the fault

-If the starter's not turning, but works when jumped, we can rule out the starter motor
-test the starter relay switch (located right next to the main 30A fuse) and after that, it's a matter of moving down the schematic
-check 10A sub fuse (on the main panel at front-left of the bike
-check clutch switch (wire commonly falls out and the bike won't start w/out it)
-check the ignition and starter switches at the front of the bike
-then finally the neutral switch on the right-mid of the bike
-as you check each component, ensure that all ground wires are securely fastened

Once the starter's working, we can worry about the lack of spark. I've attached both schematics as a starting point, but you'll definitely want a service manual. It will explain how to test each of the components in question. Hope that helps

Happy hunting

Attached Thumbnails Need help with a starting issue-hurricane-starter-schematic.jpg   Need help with a starting issue-hurricane-ignition-system-schematic.jpg  
Old 12-17-2017, 08:32 AM

Thank you very much for that detailed response. I did check the 30A fuse- both visually and with a meter for continuity- it is good. I did a continuity check on the starter relay switch per the service manual and it checked out too. The neutral light is on in the cluster with key on and bike in neutral and the sidestand light goes on when it is down and off when it is up, so maybe they are OK? I did a visual check on all the other fuses and they look good- maybe I'll recheck for continuity just to be sure. Should have the new solenoid tomorrow, so I'll put that in and see what happens. That leaves clutch switch and ignition switch. All lights, signals, horn work with key on. Just baffles me that everything was fine until i did the stick coil mod and now i have this problem. Maybe coincidence? I know things like that happen-I once rebuilt a little Honda scooter and 30 seconds after i fired up the bike after the rebuild, it quit running. Thought I had messed up the rebuild somehow, but it turned out the stator just decided to give up right at that moment. Weird...

Old 12-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I will call it involuntary induced coincidence. Not ******* on you. Logic says, after an electrical project your bike won't start, you reversed everything to original, but to no avail, you most likely fried something in the start up system.
I will echo Tentacleslap suggestions above.
Please report back, if it starts or not after the new solenoid is installed.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Baron
I will echo Tentacleslap
+1 with that.

Things that will kill the starter and spark;

1- kill switch
2- clutch switch
3- side stand switch
4- neutral switch

I also think coincidence. Inside the solenoid is basically an electromagnetic that gets energized when all the above let current flow to it. The electromagnet slides a rod upward moving a plate of steal across the terminals (just like your screwdriver). I highly doubt the solenoid is the problem, its not getting current from the battery because one of the switches is failing. That switch, if failed will not let current go to the coil either. Don't work on trying to get current to the starter, work on getting current to the coils. When you re-establish current to the coils, the power will go to the starter solenoid.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:39 PM

Well after all my head scratching and checking, it turns out the 10 amp fuse for the ignition was the culprit. It passed the visual test last week when I checked all fuses, but today I used my meter to check continuity and it had no continuity between the two legs-boy did I feel stupid! I only spent $12.00 on the new solenoid so not hurt too bad $$wise. Now I'm afraid to put the stick coils back in. The bike runs fine, but I'm one of those people who can't leave well enough alone. Maybe this time I will though! Thanks again for everyone's help.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I dunno, to me that sounds like a win. Good job

Old 12-19-2017, 08:13 PM
UNM

Originally Posted by nedc
Well after all my head scratching and checking, it turns out the 10 amp fuse for the ignition was the culprit. ...

Now I'm afraid to put the stick coils back in.
Quite likely you have a problem with the stick coil wiring. Check it, double check it, then try again (with a 10A fuse at the ready just in case).

The wiring is pretty simple, but it is easy to end up with a short circuit, or cross wiring when cutting and splicing. You should get there in the end though.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bravo!!! Thanks for revealing the culprit. We all know the embarrassing feeling when something like that happens. I for once, have been too many times to count, but feels great after it's all solved. Go back with a vengeance, do it again and show who's boss to those coils. As mentioned before, check and re-check everything with a spare 10 amp fuse. ;-)

Old 12-24-2017, 06:06 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The PO should have just got rid of the fuel pump, not needed, just another thing to bugger up.

Quick Reply: Need help with a starting issue