CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Naked 1000F advice/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Naked 1000F advice/opinions

Hi Guys,
I'm after some advice/opinions on turning a 1000F into a naked bike like a Bandit for example. I scored a 92 1000F a couple months ago and after much procrastinating I've decided to use it as a work bike so I can keep my Blackbird and 89 1000F in good condition. As the previous owner botched an attempt to repaint the side cowls I want to see if I can turn it into a semi naked bike by cutting the side cowls to suit. I want the top half to remain so it still looks good around the top cowl and tank. I'm happy to get a sign writer to re decal the finished product to save me repainting as that is very costly.

I just want to get rid of the lower sections of the side cowls and would like some ideas on where to cut them so it can look the best it possibly can. Its only going to be a commuter bike so I'm not after anything showroom but still want it to look decent and a little bit different. I'm not sure if anyone else here has attempted the naked look with one of these bikes but if any of you have I'd appreciate your advice/ideas. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:55 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if you've seen Cooltim's bike but it's certainly cool!

Here's a link :- https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...urists-125761/

Old 01-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Senior Member & can cook minute rice in 58sec
Old 01-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No pics, just a couple of suggestions on how to clean up the lines on the line of the
uppers, where it's exposed by the lowers being gone.

Try some masking tape and sharpies. Mount the pieces you want to keep, then trace
out, roughly first with masking tape, then refine with the sharpie. Try to preserve
the mounts that you can, then use a dremel to carve away the excess to make it look
planned, instead of, "oops, lost the lower fairings, so I'm just gonna ride it anyway"
look.

Then go to an auto store and get some beading that will slip over the new edges, to
clean up the new lines to your uppers. Maybe, throw some paint on some of the
covers (stator, clutch, etc.), something that adds some subtle detail/polish to the
now-exposed lower section.

Ern

Old 01-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Banned

Thanks Ern. I appreciate that mate and thanks to the other guys as well. Cheers.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Banned

Bit of an update on the 92 project. Seat has gone to the upholsterers to fit a new cover. Still waiting on rear wheel bearings, footpeg rubbers, plastic side cover for crankshaft. Rear brake pads have arrived. Heated grips and new bar ends going in tmrw. Still need a battery and some tyres and she will be right for rego. Still havent decided on a way to cut the fairings to turn her into a semi naked bike but still working on it.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd take the fairings off below the main cockpit fairings - so remove everything connected to the upper fairing and screen. The mounting points will then remain intact and the edge of the lower cowl fairing could be "edged" with some plastic as Ern suggests.
If you chop below that, the side fairings (without the belly pan) won't be strong enough to take any wind pressure and the mounting points become a problem. A friend tried to leave stuff below the main upper cowl and it ripped off in the wind even though he tried to reinforce it. The fairings are designed like a monocoque and don't work well when reduced, from what I've see. FWIW
Good luck with it Geoff !

Old 02-06-2012, 12:11 AM
Banned

Thanks Pete. Yes I was thinking about mounting points etc when Ive been standing at the bike staring at it wondering what to do...lol. I was considering just taking of the side fairings and then remove the lip that the side fairings bolt to and then edge it with a suitable edging. Then I can recover some costs by just selling the fairings I don't need anymore. Like I said before its only going to be a commuter bike in the main so showroom looks arent that important. I have the 89 for that

Old 02-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Banned

Well Pete. You inspired me mate ! I was able to do this afternoon what I haven't been able to do in 2 months...lol. I decided to draw a few lines and have a play and then took to the fairings. For a bloke who really has no idea with this stuff I think it came out pretty good and was what I wanted to achieve. I need to get a better edge moulding. The one in the pic was just one I had and I put that on there to show the lines. I needed to keep the mounting holes for the side panel in place so I cut the bottom bracket from the side fairing and bolted it in place as it would if it was the fairing. The top hole is still part of the piece I cut down. I'll be going to check out some better rubber moulding tmrw and to also see about getting the cut piece re sprayed. I'll also muck around with the lip thats left on the upper cowl and work out how I'm going to finish it off. Thanks again mate !

Attached Thumbnails Naked 1000F advice/opinions-mini-cbr1.jpg   Naked 1000F advice/opinions-mini-cbr2.jpg   Naked 1000F advice/opinions-mini-cbr3.jpg  
Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

That's actually quite amazing Bordo; I was down in the garage earlier looking at the lines of the bike and thinking about your question.

I came to the conclusion that you needed to try and hide (soften) the bottom edge of the tank by leaving enough fairing just to cover that.

So, think about how to put that in words for a while, logon and bugger me you've done it.

Quick Reply: Naked 1000F advice/opinions