CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

My starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

I got her to start! I placed a 500w halogen flood light underneath the front headers and let her heat up for about 30 mins. I went to get her to start and she started right up! She had a rough idle for a bit but I think she needed to get the fuel moving through the system. Now she's running beautifully! What is the kicker is that if I turn her off she starts right back up and sounds like a normal start.

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC2Bp0mHli4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiwRU42_jIU

Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The guy I purchased it from used a halogen light as a block heater and said that usually helped with getting her started.

This is sounding more and more like a choke problem. Try squirting some Quickstart into the air intakes on the carb (remove the side panels first - it has ether in it)
If it fires and runs, then I'd say choke ..........
Mine WON'T fire without the choke when cold. Even after standing for an hour it still likes the choke.....

Old 06-03-2010, 12:54 AM

A choke problem eh? Yeah, if I squirt starting fluid in she will start without using the heating method. It takes a while though. The choke appears to work ok... When pulling the lever it pulls the cable and the choke engages.

However, the starter should be cranking faster on the cold start. Notice the difference in my videos?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:12 AM

Just how cold is the environment you are trying to start it in?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by JHouse
Just how cold is the environment you are trying to start it in?
Definitely not a cold environment. It is probably around 80 outside right now. Even at 90 outside right after noon, it still won't start. I mean cold as in cold motor. Works great once it is warmed up.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:47 AM

So, here's a new update. I was trying to start it again after doing my warm up procedure using the flood light and it did what originally happened after starting it. I had to have the throttle wide open and it still only idled at maybe 500rpm or so. Just enough to keep it going but any less it would stall. To me it didn't sound like all the cylinders were thumping away. The last time this happened it eventually decided to idle to normal but not this time. I am using the choke also and tried choke / no choke and no choke = stall. Also, when I'm using my warm up procedure and try to start I have to pump the throttle fast to get one of the cylinders to fire. I know there's fuel in the carb bowls because i checked the drain valve for each carb and it does indeed have fuel.

I tried changing spark plugs, the coils are new. When it actually is running, it runs well. I also just changed the oil. Rotella T 15W-40 and Bosch 3300 Oil Filter.

So, wtf? As soon as I get back from Cycle Gear tomorrow I'm going to roll her in to the "garage" and take the alt shaft out and inspect the starter clutch and alt damper.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:40 AM

Latest Update!

I took her inside and took the alternator out and checked the damper and the starter clutch. Both are in great condition!

So now, wtf is the problem. That narrows it down to a couple issues. It could be a starter motor problem, or possibly an ignition problem. I'll pull the plugs out and do a ignition check as soon as I get the starter put back on. If that looks good then I may have to get a starter rebuild kit. If that's not the problem, then a fuel issue? I've got my work cut out for me.

Oh, and my choke cable broke, the end at the handlebar was frayed. Also, I cut my palm trying to tighten the damn nut on the alternator shaft. No blood, no glory.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:06 AM

Both are in great condition!

How do you know ?
You can't check a starter damper by hand - it's IMPOSSIBLE to put enough force on it by hand to indicate that it's working right.
I'd suggest you disassemble it and add another washer on the top to give the plates more bite, and clean all the plates and put them back, each in a different position.
Only then will you know if it's good.
I speak from experience on this issue.

No blood, no glory........................so true
But now you know to buy a 14mm ratchet spanner to make life easier, and quicker.................

Old 06-07-2010, 10:57 AM

Still seems that the starter damper would only be a issue when trying to start the bike when it is warmed up. It starts fine warmed up. It just has the issue when it's cold. Almost sounds like it is a choke problem but doesn't sound like the starter is turning fast enough. However, starter turns like normal when the bike is warm...

And another thing. the starter damper does not look the same as in the guide. It is not held on by a circlip. It is held on by what appears to be two round pieces of metal. Like this (( )). So, not sure how to go about removing it.

Last edited by CyberTrip; 06-07-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:32 PM

Those are half circlips - supposed to be like that - the assembly should slide out and then be removable.........
as for the starting issue when cold - can only be choke related. I'm at a loss..............

Quick Reply: My starting problem