CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

My ole girl has an electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
+1. Sounds like the battery is toast and a connection is bad. Charge and test the battery. Could be that the battery cables are loose or dirty as well.
+1 I don't like the way the voltage drops.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to check the battery cold yesterday and it was 10.5 volts. I dont like going cheap on batteries, but I did. I ordered the "Golden Dragon" off ebay that CBR 1988 mentioned.

I put some dielectric grease on some of the electrical contacts as well. I think the kill switch and starter switch are ok.

"Golden Dragon"!! That name says it all, and makes me laugh. But if it will work for a while, I'm happy!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Just make sure you give the Golden Dragon a good low amp charge prior to install and all should be good$ If you have a newer charger don't forget to use AGM mode as it is supposed to make them keep a longer stronger charge. They sell at Walmart for $30.00.

Dub

Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 PM

Thanks CBR. I have a 1 amp trickle charger so Im good. Just ready for the "Dragon" to get here. LOL

Old 03-17-2012, 05:13 PM

Well, confuscious delivered my "Golden Dragon" battery today. Ancient chinese secret! LOL (Sorry, cant help myself. I know this battery is made in China, but you would think they would give it a more catchy name to sell in the American Market).

This battery sure had a good price, and it was shipped quick.

Anyway, I put it in and the dash lights lit up like a Christmas tree! Havent heard the starter turn over that quick in years! I have it on the trickle charger now to top the battery off.

One thing I have learned is a bad motorcycle battery sure can give crazy symptoms. I dont ever recall it being that way with cars.

So to sum it up, I should be good to go with the new battery.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:19 AM
Default 93 1000f battery drain

I got this bike yesterday, I went to look at it a few days ago and when we went to start it up, it wouldn't turn on, jumped it from the car, got it running, but then it kept dying, so before i got it the guy replaced the regulator and checked the battery, the battery was good, and after the new regulator and trickle charge, the bike worked fine, and he rode it for a couple hours, no problem, the next day, it started right up and he rode it to work, and then from work another 50 mile ride to get to me, everything was good for about 5 hours while i rode my happy *** off, I stopped about 6 times, had it off for about 30 minutes a couple of the times , and everything was good, but then I got to a stop sign about 6 minutes after I left the last time and when I got to a stop sign the rpm's got low on that tach and it died, when I tried to start it again, it chugged to start, and wouldn't start, the headlight got dim and the dash was dimmer, i got a jump from a guy, it started, put it into first to pull out, it died, tried again, got going, stop sign, didn't die got all the way home (20 miles) then turned it off, and tried to start again and nothing, just clicking from down by the motor, probably the starter, headlight dim again, and slow delay from lo beams to hi beams, and horn wouldn't work, bought a new battery, trickle charged it all night, installed it, started up great, I rode it all day, then it had problems starting second to last ignition, but still tried, then it went with the throttle on a little more, drove for about a half an hour, then shut it off for 15 minutes, started up completely fine, drove 30 minutes, shut it off, and tried again, it tried the first time to start, battery seemed like it was dying then next time it didn't it just clicked, battery is on the charger now, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for the time it took to read this. BigGunz

Old 07-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGunzBlazin88
I got this bike yesterday, I went to look at it a few days ago and when we went to start it up, it wouldn't turn on, jumped it from the car, got it running, but then it kept dying, so before i got it the guy replaced the regulator and checked the battery, the battery was good, and after the new regulator and trickle charge, the bike worked fine, and he rode it for a couple hours, no problem, the next day, it started right up and he rode it to work, and then from work another 50 mile ride to get to me, everything was good for about 5 hours while i rode my happy *** off, I stopped about 6 times, had it off for about 30 minutes a couple of the times , and everything was good, but then I got to a stop sign about 6 minutes after I left the last time and when I got to a stop sign the rpm's got low on that tach and it died, when I tried to start it again, it chugged to start, and wouldn't start, the headlight got dim and the dash was dimmer, i got a jump from a guy, it started, put it into first to pull out, it died, tried again, got going, stop sign, didn't die got all the way home (20 miles) then turned it off, and tried to start again and nothing, just clicking from down by the motor, probably the starter, headlight dim again, and slow delay from lo beams to hi beams, and horn wouldn't work, bought a new battery, trickle charged it all night, installed it, started up great, I rode it all day, then it had problems starting second to last ignition, but still tried, then it went with the throttle on a little more, drove for about a half an hour, then shut it off for 15 minutes, started up completely fine, drove 30 minutes, shut it off, and tried again, it tried the first time to start, battery seemed like it was dying then next time it didn't it just clicked, battery is on the charger now, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for the time it took to read this. BigGunz
Check your connections, especially the battery and r/r plug. Test your charging system to see what its doing. If you need more detailed help, start your own thread and the help will come pouring in....

Last edited by 74demon; 07-08-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mid section of bike has a harness plug - check for corrosion !
Directly above clutch slave on bracket hanging from airbox bolt
....the big red one

If thats all good then whatever R/R was "said" to be installed
maybe used and bad or just simply not good - get another
new one . R/R's are consumables imo - used ones should
never be used

One other thing - if jumping a battery from a car - MAKE SURE
the cars engine is not running or it will potentially fry the bike !

Last edited by Sprock; 07-08-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's in the cards, kick another 30 bucks for a Battery Tender Jr.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Well when you charge the Battery check the Volts on the battery, then idle your bike and rev it up to 4-5000 rpm's. the voltage when you rev the motor should be 14 volts. Please do this before buying anything else. Let us know what you get. check the r/r harness to see if it is burnt.