CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

My ole girl has an electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My ole girl has an electrical problem

Well, my sweetheart has laid down on me!

Here's the facts:

When I turn on the switch I get dim dash lights. I can wiggle the main plug and other wires around or just wait a bit until I get full lights, but hitting the starter button knocks all the lights back out and then gives me dim dash lights again.
At the time I checked the battery after running it down some, it had 12.3 volts at the battery.
When I turn the switch on the voltage drops to about 3 volts.
I cleaned the battery terminals.
I cleaned the main plug with electrical cleaner.

Past history:
Replaced rectifier about 6 months ago with the UK brand.
Periodically when I hit the starter button, nothing would happen on the first push of the button, but 2nd try usually worked. Probably a corroded contact somewhere.
Rewired the 3 wires coming out of the key switch a couple of years ago after someone cut them trying to steal it. No problems since.

I havent pulled the starter/kill switch apart yet. And what will I check when Im in there? I also plan on checking the rectifier connections when I have time.

Any other ideas? Sorting out electrical problems is not one of my strong points.

I think the fact that the battery voltage drops hard with the switch on is telling me something, but I just dont know what.

As always guys, thanks for the help!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:19 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a combo of bad connection/loose wire and battery is failing.

I'd go through the entire harness, inspecting and cleaning all of the connectors. Then packing them with di-electric grease to guard against corrosion. Check all of the wiring runs for frays/broken/damage. If the battery is over 3-ish years, probably time to consider replacement.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 03-13-2012, 05:55 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

+1. Sounds like the battery is toast and a connection is bad. Charge and test the battery. Could be that the battery cables are loose or dirty as well.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 PM

I wish I had more time to work on it, but I have to run to my daughters softball game. I jumped it off with a car battery so I think you guys are right-the battery for one.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Softball - don't remind me Ronnie - just finishing the Basketball travel tournaments with
mine then back to the majors for softball - great fun tho ' always worth it.

think your starter button and switch may be the culprit , or intermediate harness plug
to the RR or the ignition switch itself

MotoBatt MBTX14AU if you are getting one - awesome battery

not to leave anything out here - but Venus & Jupiter might be to blame as well

Last edited by Sprock; 03-13-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:32 PM

Sprock,

Where's a good source for the MOTBATT? I was thinking of buying another Westco battery but price IS an issue right now.

I'm off work tomorrow and will spend some time troubleshooting. But again this afternoon when I got home from the game I had the same symptoms of voltage dropping and hooking a car battery to it and immediately being able to start it that way.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both mine came from Ebay one was 62 bucks the other 68

Hell not much on Ebay for them right now other than an 80 dollar one

Here's a better search !

Impact Battery seems the one - 62 bucks shipped

Last edited by Sprock; 03-13-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an extra starter switch that I know works. I can send it to you for test purposes and you can send it back to me when you're done.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:35 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

It is alot of times the switch is corroded or worn so check there. next this might be a option for the battery, know of a few that have used them with good success but they are fairly new so don't know how long they will last but are a good AGM and thats always better than a lead acid, just check the sizing.

good luck on whatever you choose, YTX14AHL-BS YTX14AHLBS GTX14AHL-BS UTX14AHL YB14L-A2 AGM Battery Replaces YUASA | eBay

Dub

Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 AM

Thank you pmcg for the offer. I may take you up on it.

Dub,

I'm tempted to try that battery due to the price! I normally dont like cutting costs on batteries, but my wife and I bought a used 4 wheeler a few weeks ago and it used up some of my spending money. then I found out my daughter needs braces, and thats gonna cost a fortune!

As always, thanks for all the help and support guys! Gonna clean electrical contacts today and I may mount a battery from my Yamaha in the Hurricane today for test purposes. And, I will probably just go ahead an order a battery today since it hasnt been replaced since bought the bike about 3 or 4 years ago.

Quick Reply: My ole girl has an electrical problem