CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

My name is Kevin & I'm short...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slowpoke
Honda did a lot of wind-tunnel testing to cut the air turbulence. That's the reason for the cut-outs. Wind flows on both sides of the screen. I don't think it's good to interrupt that airflow, but it seems to be OK to extend the same airflow higher over your helmet.

I have the Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen that is the same shape as stock, but 4-inches-longer. Windscreen Innovators - Zero GravityThe airstream hits me at the top of my helmet, where it used to hit me under my chin with the stock screen.
That's an interesting statement. I ride a majority of time with a large, usually stuffed to bursting tank bag. I get some buffeting, but not nearly as much as riding without it. I started wondering, because of my riding position and the fact that I'm usually at freeway speeds, if there isn't a wind vortex that flows in a circle between my chest and the tank that keeps hitting me in the chin and working its way around again

Still, the German screen looks like my choice

Last edited by wooferdog; 10-09-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bohdan
Thanks - do you have a picture of how it looks?
Here's a picture I have on Imageshack. You can see how much taller the screen is, but it has no lip.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bohdan
->> Insert short jokes here.................

OK, so I'm 173cm tall, which is 5 ft 8 inches in old money. I just got to take my FK for the first real run today after buying it in June and working on it over winter.

I discovered that I'm getting (apparently) an edge of air off the front screen which is hitting me in the lower front part of my helmet, making an unbelievable amount of turbulent wind noise around my ears.

Its actually so loud that I could barely hear the bike.

However, I discovered that by arching my back and sitting (uncomfortably) upright, I lifted my head by probably an inch or so and suddenly I'm in a space that is relatively quiet and more like what I was expecting from a fully faired bike.

Anyone else of similar height experience the same thing, and if so, how did you solve it?

->> Insert short jokes here too I guess. Go on, you know you want too...

I was looking at a windscreen with an upturned edge on it to move things around, maybe something like this one below? My concern is that currently I seem to be underneath the sweet spot, so flicking it upwards with one of these might be the wrong thing to do.

Any (cheap) suggestions would be appreciated. My helmet is a HJC CL-12 which is an old model and probably makes more noise than its modern equivalent, but, the amount of noise I'm hearing seems disproportionate.

No short jokes. My dad was 5'8" and he was the biggest man I've ever known.

As for turbulence, a laminar lip did it for me. Less buffeting, quieter. Although I've noticed that as my helmet ages and becomes looser things are noisier. Must be time for a new, better fitting helmet.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slowpoke
Here's a picture I have on Imageshack. You can see how much taller the screen is, but it has no lip.
That's a sweet looking bike! Thanks for the photo.

Last edited by bohdan; 10-10-2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Edit.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i too have the laminar lip . it made a fair bitof difference . now directs air about the top of my helmet . not sure its the best solution tho , just feel like there has to be a better screen out there somewhere