CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

My low beams gone and I'm confused...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My low beams gone and I'm confused...

I left town Sunday night after leaving the bike in a carpark for 3 hours and found I didn't have any low beam. I assume it workedwhen I left home at 3pm but I can't say for sure...

Rode home with high beam (offending a bunch of cages) and took the windscreen and dash out to access the bulbs. They weren't blown.... Both bulbs have two filaments in good condition.

I checked the 20A headlight fuse, it was 30A and not blown.

Sometimes when I change from high beam to low beam, all headlight vanishes for a second or two... after that happened a few times, I foundthat more purposefulswitch flicking kept away the darkness.

The bulbs are blue H4 55/60W's and I don't see any corrosion or damaged wires.

Any idea where low beam has gone?

Old 02-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Default RE: My low beams gone and I'm confused...

I'd say it's either a bad electrical connector somewhere or it is the handlebar switch itself which is causing the problem - given your comments about changing from high to low beam I am suspecting the handlebar switch.

I did take a handlebar switch apart once - little springs and ball bearings everywhere. Nearly drove me mad. Ebay is maybe your best bet to get a replacement unit if you can pin it down to the switch.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:39 PM

If you have a service manual handle, you could jumper the handlebar switch at the wiring connector to see if thats your issue. Might be easier than disassembling the switch.

bloody hell, I was going to post an ebay link to a new switch, then I saw you in the place where the water goes down the toliet backwards...

Old 02-26-2007, 02:25 PM

I have this exact same problems some times. If I give it a forcefull switch then it will be fine in either high or low, but if I just tap it in either direction then it will leave me in the dark. Gave me quite a scare a few times when I really needed some light. I've been meaning to look for a new one, just haven't had the time.

MDFF

Old 02-26-2007, 02:49 PM

[:@]i currently have this same problem but im not sure what part of the wireing to check. its reliable though reliable to not work on low beam and reliable to work on high beam and never seems to faulter completely

Old 02-27-2007, 02:13 AM

ORIGINAL: mdfirefighter

I have this exact same problems some times. If I give it a forcefull switch then it will be fine in either high or low, but if I just tap it in either direction then it will leave me in the dark. Gave me quite a scare a few times when I really needed some light. I've been meaning to look for a new one, just haven't had the time.

MDFF
Took a little digging, but I found one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...60395759QQrdZ1

Old 02-27-2007, 02:13 AM

For all those having problems with their switches, if its not possible to repair them then just go to david silver spares and they are there for £30.00 + posting.

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 02-27-2007, 02:30 AM

You know how when you press the starter button the headlight turns off? I checked the wiring diagram, but couldn't find what causes the headlight to turn off. Is it the starter relay? Something in that circuit could be keeping the low beam off.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:39 AM

ORIGINAL: slowpoke

You know how when you press the starter button the headlight turns off? I checked the wiring diagram, but couldn't find what causes the headlight to turn off. Is it the starter relay? Something in that circuit could be keeping the low beam off.
As far as I can find, the Black / white tracer coming out of the starter switch cuts power to the headlights when pressed, reducing the draw on the battery and allowing everything to go into the starter.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:32 AM

It was the bulbs afterall... I looked at both and the filaments both looked fine and I couldn't hear any rattling sound when I shook them so I assumed they were ok... what I should have done was check the circuit through the bulb with a meter... I guess one had been blown for a while and I just hadn't noticed, and when the second one went it was a bit more obvious...

$62.50 per bulb... yay.

Also, I knew the bulbs were not standard power but now I know they were the wrong type of bulb too... somthing about 45 degrees instead of 55. Problem solved.