CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Moving on... Sell or Trade-in?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving on... Sell or Trade-in?

Hi all... well it's just about time for me to move on to something a bit newer and more comfortable. The CBRF'L' has served me great over the nearly 2 years and 7,000km I've had it for but I would like to upgrade to something a bit newer and more comfortable... being a BIG lad this style bike doesn't really suite me.

Anyway, looking at maybe a CB1300 or even an ST1300 if I can find one within reach, there's a few over the east coast (Australia) in my price range with low k's but nothing here in SA. There's only one CB1300 that I can find here in SA and it's at a dealer in Adelaide.. it's the bol'dor version with the half fairing. At first I didn't think much of it but it grows on you and the wind protection is a bonus as I've grown to like a fairing with the CBRF!!

The dealer has just dropped the price $1000 and when was in town and checked it out the other week he asked what I was going to do with my CBRF... I mentioned that I'll probably just try and sell it. Anyway, in light of the drop in price I'm wondering whether a trade in might just be easier and quicker. If so, does anyone know what an average price for a trade-in on a CBR1000F'L' (12/89) would be? Looking through the online classi's most dealers are trying to hock off 89-93 models for $4,000-$5,000 in the eastern states. I was thinking of putting $4,000 ono on mine to sell privately but don't want to wait months to try and sell it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Default RE: Moving on... Sell or Trade-in?

Your pricing sounds about right, if your bikeis in good nick.
If I was to sell my 94, I would be asking for 5k

Old 11-11-2008, 12:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback... $3500 would be my base sell price. I'd be quite happy for $3500 trade-in!! Considering the hassle of trying to sell a vehicle, the cost of advertising it etc, people coming along and bagging the cr@p out of it trying to lower the price etc... I'm an artist, not a sales rep... we cry when people start bagging our stuff. (LOL!)

I've emailed the dealer stating the model and condition and told him to give me an estimate on what kind of deal he could do... I'll await his response.

I've put a classi in the local papers for tomorrow for $4,000... I work for the local newspaper head office and get it in for free so no cost as of yet... I'll guage what kind of interest it gets locally. Funny thing is I havn't even got it back from shop yet, the mechanic has had it for 2 weeks already so I'm getting impatient with him. Pitty if someone rings up tomorrow night wanting to buy it there and then and I don't have it... but I doubt it.

Thanks again guys.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 AM

$5g's really? Must be talking Aussie $$ Id never pay 5g's for a 1000F hell for that much I can be rolling on an early 2000's 929 954 1000RR or a 600RR

Old 11-11-2008, 11:44 AM

Sell it here, they go for $7000-$8000 or more!! [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 11-11-2008, 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: CBRclassic

Yer..well.. .Ebinz....it is AUD ...and it is relative to what we earn here mate ..

$4000-$5000 is a cheap ride here..

BTW...no one works for $10 an hour here either Ebinz....

Australia is a weird place in more way than one ...compared to most over sea's countries...
So ur saying you work for more or less an hour? a 1000F around here would go for $2000-3000(3000 if your lucky!) USD

5000 AUD = 3,286 USD.. so about the same... but like a said 3000+ USD is kinda too much $$ for a 1000F unless.. its in showroom condition.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:11 PM

That was quick... I've had two calls already from the classified... one older fella sounded geniune although a little concerned with the riding position being 6' but stillkeen to come around for a look. The other one sounded like a tyre kick interested in a joy ride. No thanks.

Going to ring the bike shop up and ask where the my bike is... been in the shop for 2 weeks now getting new fork seals, valve clearance check and carbie sync.

My CBRFL isn't exactly show room condition but it's pretty close to it with only minor scratches and scuffs on real close inspection. From 2m away it looks mint. I've had a number of people ask me if it was new!

She does rattle a bit, specially from cold but I guess it's not much more than any other bike. The semi decored ducati mufflers help disguise it! ;-)

Still havn't heard back from that dealer re trade-in figure.

FWIW, average pay around here in the Riverland is about $20AUD an hour gross for any tradesperson/semi professional. I'm on $30AUD being a prepress manager/graphic artistand work 45 hours a week on average - including overtime it's around $70KAUD before tax, which is pretty good for a country persons wage, in the smoke someone like me would probably get $80-$85K but living expenses would be heaps more too.