CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Motorcycle Laws - How does your part of the world compare ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Motorcycle Laws - How does your part of the world compare ?

So this kinda came up in the "What have you done to your CBR 1000F today"

We have our own politically active anti Motorcycle Group up here in Maine called MECALM

Main page says it all from an agenda perspective ! and their Perpectives
page goes even deeper

Anybody else have an opinion on this ? or an equivalent in their State or
any other Country for that matter ?

Just curious !

Old 11-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'll take the hit, but I don't have a problem with most of what they're doing. Freedom doesn't mean that you have the right to disturb everyone else's peace. When I bought my 95 1000F in on 03, the second thing I did, after raising my bars, was to swap out the Yoshimura that it came with for a set of stock pipes.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the Harleys around are stupidly noisy.

I ride through a lot of small villages, always slow down and knock it into top out of respect for the residents.

If I lived in a quiet village, I'd get pi55ed off at speeding/noisy/cars/bikes.

In the end it all boils down respecting each others rights.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Some of the Harleys around are stupidly noisy.
Here Too.

I ride through a lot of small villages, always slow down and knock it into top out of respect for the residents. .
I do as well.

If I lived in a quiet village, I'd get pi55ed off at speeding/noisy/cars/bikes.
I do live in one, but its perspective, we have 4 airports, 3 military posts/camps/ ranges, 2 major trucking lines, constant construction, 3 raceways, 4 dragstrips, 2 concert areas, 35 golf courses, 30 Sr/Jr high schools and around a half a million folks within 30 miles. So even in the quietest area there is still a lot of noise from other activities nearby so a loud bike would only bother me if he was doing an Italian tune up near my house when I am trying to sleep.

In the end it all boils down respecting each others rights.
Agreed, as long as they are reasonable people, some people can not be reasoned with, no matter how much you try to respect them, as they feel their rights are more important and serve the greater good for all and that you can't ever understand how they feel. They have unrealistic expectations.

@ Sprock:
Sorry but it sounds like MECALM is full of those unreasonable people I mentioned above. They are probably not even a majority of your cross section of folks that live there. Reminds me of the South Park episode. While I do appreciate that some folks bikes are crazy loud, they need to be dealt with on a case by case basis. This is how history has taught us that seemly good ideas turn into something else. To me this is the bikers version of Prohibition and we all know how that farce turned out. It seems like Maine has way to many unemployed pissed off fisherman and do gooders with lots of time on their hands with nothing else to do. And once those type of folks get a target they stay fixated on it. That website should scare you Sprock as they seem to have a hidden agenda that is a little more devious. Read between the lines, and check out some of their other proposals. They are not very open to any compromise, it is their way or their way no other choices. Good luck someone in your state needs to step up with a reasonable anti MECALM message to put them in a more reasonable position, but as long as they have your Govs ear they will dominate without any organized decent and reasonable opposition. How are the local HD folks taking this?

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 11-10-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike's pretty loud and I like it that way! When I'm overtaking, car drivers are aware of me being there, even if they can't see me. The 'roos also hear me coming and look up so I see them sooner. I also like the sound of a big inline 4 going hard and breathing out properly .

However, when I go through town I burble along at low revs with minimal noise, especially if I go through early or late. It's just common courtesy.

The sign is fair enough, "Please ride quietly." There's a time and a place for full noise...In my case that's this arvo, screaming through the back way home !!

Oh yeah, there are noise level limits and compliance stamps etc. here. Most just ignore them.

It's another case of a few ***** spoiling things for the rest of us really. Like people doing monos through speed cameras whilst flipping the bird. Impressive as this may be , all it does is makes the powers that be cry out for front plates on bikes...again. It's the few geese ripping up and down suburban streets at 2.00am that make it harder for the rest of us to have er...free breathing bikes.

Cheers lads,

Happy weekend (for some )

Last edited by davethepom; 11-10-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Afterthought.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My neighborhood is mostly sport bikes giving the illusion of speed. Yeah, Ororo can scream like that with her stock pipe. But I'll be hitting 10k+ which'll mean waaay over the limit in any gear, unless in on the freeway in like 2nd

Noise ordinances in areas are strictly enforced... depending on the officer's morivation. South Street is a good example. 1 or 2 lone bikes tend to get overlooked, unless the cop is having a bad day or preening for the women from what I've seen. A group tends to get stopped. Its nearly impossible to speed on South Street cause of traffic. But the reality is Philadelphia seems pretty bike friendly from a legal standpoint to me.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:55 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

"Several members said they've received more citizen complaints about loud bikes than any other issue."

Really? more than barking dogs? and the bin men not putting the wheelie bin back in the correct position six inches to the left of the driveway?

I find that a little hard to believe.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio

Noise ordinances in areas are strictly enforced... depending on the officer's morivation. South Street is a good example. 1 or 2 lone bikes tend to get overlooked, unless the cop is having a bad day or preening for the women from what I've seen. A group tends to get stopped. Its nearly impossible to speed on South Street cause of traffic. But the reality is Philadelphia seems pretty bike friendly from a legal standpoint to me.
I live a half block off of South Street, and on summer Sundays, after the Harleys finish their group rides, it seems they all make it down here. Can get annoying at times.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

NY states that a motorcycle has to have a device that reduces exhaust noise to a reasonable limit and cut-outs are not legal.

I have to agree that a vast number of bikes that are to loud are the HD bunch with open pipes. Even with my TB slip-on, that is much louder than the factory mufflers, I can't hear the bike when around Harleys. If I am sitting inside my house with my window shut, I can't hear the TV when a HD rides down the main road a block away. That's just to loud.

You can't just ask them to put a muffler on because they won't. You have to pass laws unfortunately.

The problem you face is the law officer will make the decision if a bike is loud or not. If he is part of the HD clan, he may send a non-HD for testing and let the loud HDs ride by.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of those Harley guys are just ridiculous. They seem to think it's some great accomplishment to make a motor loud as ****. It's really not. Motors are atrociously loud by nature.
And then they compare them with each other to see which is louder? And therefore more cool?
I'm all for good sounding bikes (and cars) but some people just have no sense.
It's a shame that it would have to come to law enforcement, but there will always be some people who are too damn stupid to realize how fecking annoying and stupid they really are.
Kinda like those dipchits in their POS civics and cavaliers who slap on a cheap "performance" can and then think they have a racecar that everyone should be envious of.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Laws - How does your part of the world compare ?