CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

MOT Failure - swingarm bearings / brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT Failure - swingarm bearings / brakes

My '92 CBR100F has just failed its MOT due to excessive play in swingarm and front discshaving excessive 'run out' [].

Honda dealer quoted £320 parts and £150 labour whichwould makeit hardly worth fixing.

Have been on the net and can source frontdiscs for £70 each and the swingarm bearing set for £35 saving a good bit on the dealers parts price andI am tempted to do the work myself. Have no problemsworking onthe front brakes but have not tackled a swingarm before.

Reason for the post -

1)how easy is it to remove the swingarm, remove the old bearings and caps and to fit the new ones. Haynes manual makes it look OK ish, and

2) does any one know of a UK supplier of 'bits' that could be cheaper (I've already tried David Silver) ?.

Thanks

dyngoo

Old 09-26-2007, 03:03 PM
jb
Default RE: MOT Failure - swingarm bearings / brakes

i dont think that swing arm bushes would be that hard to do,strange that the bushes have gone, must have done some high wet riding?, try blacksbikes 01704897551, i know they were breaking a 92, so they might have some disks that are ok con, and maybe u could replace the whole swingarm off their wreaked bike (if its cheap enough), dave silver is the cheapest retailer i have ever found.
hope that helps

Old 09-27-2007, 06:59 AM

I have a 91 FL model anddid my swing arm bearings last year before the MOT ( they felt rough ) took about 2 hrs from start to finish. Unless the design has changed - CBR1000F bikes run a needle roller bearing and a roller bearing in the swing arm pivot. Quite an easy job except for pushing the bearings out and in. You need to be carefull not to damage the needle roller bearing on the chain side when pushing it in. The other side is easy enough.

Brand new discs are available in the UK from All Bike Engineering at £60 a side. You can upgrade to wave discs from the same company for very little extra.

Im in the Preston ( Lancashire ) area. I can help if your close enough.

rgds

Old 09-27-2007, 01:15 PM

Thanks deanO & jb for the replies. Must admit I'm a bit wary of fitting used brake parts so will try to go 'new'.

The All Bike Engineering website confirms the disc price at £60 each so will likely go with them.

Will attempt the swingarm bearings myself but plan to strip it down before ordering the parts - just in case I can't get it off due to siezed bolts etc.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:07 AM

Hi, Just thought i'd throw my opinion into the thread incase it alters your mind
I think when it comes to front discs it depends on how good the second hand ones are. The reason i say this is that some cheaper aftermarket discs are quite inferior in strength and resistance to warping etc. The genuine Honda ones are going to be far better made unless you're going to pay out for EBC or Galfer discs etc. If the second hand ones have very little use then i'd be tempted by those rather than cheap aftermarket ones myself. If you find a local breakers then you can always take them back if there's a problem
Just my opinion from experience.
Gaz

Old 05-17-2010, 10:28 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-17-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dyngoo
My '92 CBR100F has just failed its MOT due to excessive play in swingarm and front discshaving excessive 'run out' [].

Thanks

dyngoo
How do they check swingarms on bikes without centerstands? If it was my bike, I would check it myself. Any sideways play is unacceptable, but I would check the torque on the swingarm nut first. It should be 80 ft/lbs (110 N-m, or 11 kg-m).

As for the front brake runnout, my 90-91 manual lists 0.3mm as the service limit. Is that what they used? I would check it myself. I think anything over 0.3mm runout would be felt at the brake lever when braking. Can you have an independent garage check it first?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by slowpoke
How do they check swingarms on bikes without centerstands?
Takes two guys to do it.

One leans the bike over on to the side stand & front wheel, the other checks for wheel/swingarm play.

BTW guys - the OP had this problem back in 2007 - I hope he has it fixed now - haha

Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 AM

I had the same MOT failure on my CBr1000fh 87 . They said the swing arm bearings needed replacing. So I removed the swing arm as per the Haynes manual no problem , bought the bearings ( needle roller cage type I seem to recall) and had a local engineering company push the old ones out and the new ones in . Did cost me £70 which a thought was a bit steep but at least the hard part was done. Reassmebled as per manual no problem.

Failed the MOT again as the previous dealers ( new place for 2nd MOT ) didn't show me and I didn't check the play in the linkage system to the damper. With the back wheel out and on its main stand, we could move the swing arm up about 1mm at the rear spindle end. SO off it came again and with the help of a good 8" vice and a bit engineering to make a 'draw bolt ' to pull out the old bearings form the linkage and push the new ones in , I was able to change them all.

Passed MOT

So whether the main bearings of the swing arm had gone is open for debate and I didn't need to change them ? I dunno . Still , check your linkage as well .

Cheers
Mikey

Old 06-09-2021, 03:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To be fair You will find the swing arm job fairly straightforward I bought a centre stand from a breakers for the job of removing the back end on my 600fk and it was worth it, I know yours is the 1000cc but similar job! as for parts wemoto have got most of my parts along with David silver and MSP have been good too even hard to find bits nos.

Quick Reply: MOT Failure - swingarm bearings / brakes