CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

More sad days

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stuff, I have done so far on the studs;

Little bit of stud stuck out, so welded nut on top - sheared right off
Spent close to £100 on various stud removing tools - none work
Cut a slot in the stub with a dremmel and used an impact screwdriver - sheared a little bit more off the stud
Drilled down the center of the stud and used an easyout (And trust me I bought REALLY good easyouts) - it snapped leaving the end embedded in the stud.

Have managed to drill out the easyout (Which is a fkin PITA) and will now be nibbling the whole stud out with a dremmel and using helicoils to replace.

The work I was going to do over the winter was mainly a paint job and maybe new fairings. back wheel needs powder coating, but would want to change rear (front) sprocket / disk to make it look like the front wheel and disk.

Maybe I'm just p1ssed that I havent been able to ride my bike - but I think anyone would be p1ssed with this stud situation.

I'm just looking down the road at where I want my bike to end up and seeing a lot of £££ to get there. When it would be just as viable to get myself a blackbird!

The other consideration....

If I fix my studs and sell the bike and all my various bits, I will get about £1500 if I keep the bike and do the work I will spend about £1500.

Thats 3k I can put towards my next project come summer (It will cover the cost of converting it to run on LPG)

I need to have a think, I have a few weeks left of stud nibbling to mull it over. Maybe I will think differently when it is all back together.

Hawk - how quick do you me to decide about the forks ?

Deano - thanks for the offer - if you hav any suggestions to an easier route it would be good (Half tempted to just whack it all back together with one stud bolt on 2 of the headers and gum it up with paste - could be back riding by the weekend)

New project BTW (Will be a used one of course lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHaG6f8xwWk

Old 08-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
The barrels are the bits the pistons fit in, and where the exhausts fit on. If it's an exhaust bolt, it would mean replacing the whole set of barrels, but then it'd be good to go.
Not on the engines I have played with !! - The exhaust headers fasten to the Cylinder Head, not the barrels.

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Drilling and putting over size studs or helicoils in ain't that expensive Steve ...
Sounds to me that you are thinking really more about a change of ride to the Big bastard black bird mate
This is probably the way I would go too - the stupid M6 studs currently used are too flimsy - I am sure there is enough meat in the head for M8.

OooooH theres a thought - Harry on a blackbird - youre welcome to give mine a try if it helps keep you on a bike !!
Engage warp drive please Mr hamster - haha

Last edited by Dean0; 08-17-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Harry_T_Hamster
Deano - thanks for the offer - if you hav any suggestions to an easier route it would be good (Half tempted to just whack it all back together with one stud bolt on 2 of the headers and gum it up with paste - could be back riding by the weekend)
If it helps - I am partner and rugrat free this weekend - we can at least try to extract the old studs and make a decision as to wether it needs standard or oversize helicoils in the head.

YES - withdrawal symptoms are a bitch - but a soon as you get your leather chaps back on the seat you'll feel much better - *****

Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not on the engines I have played with !! - The exhaust headers fasten to the Cylinder Head, not the barrels.

Gawd how dumb can you be !
Only excuse is lack of sleep.......................and not very well ATM
Yarr, must need new pills,Steve, thanks Dean0 for the correction
Still, makes the job even easier doesn't it........................?

Believe it or not I've actually done this job, not that you'd think so from my dumb post.

Gawd the mind boggles - Hamster in warp drive...................eeeeeeeeeeeeeek
You're a braver man than me dean0

Last edited by Shadow; 08-17-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:51 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by Dean0
If it helps - I am partner and rugrat free this weekend - we can at least try to extract the old studs and make a decision as to wether it needs standard or oversize helicoils in the head.

YES - withdrawal symptoms are a bitch - but a soon as you get your leather chaps back on the seat you'll feel much better - *****
I see a plan happening here. Go getem Deano, especially when hes crying on yer shoulders, take advantage of it. Just joking Hampster, but your lucky mate and got of this lightly. I'm still recovering from 3rd degree burns, bite marks and stitches, not to mention the tetinus shots

Last edited by Raymond; 08-17-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
and its not till my fingers that are running a muck have hit the post button that I sometimes spot the errors ..
Me too - but that's what the EDIT button is for - haha

Quick Reply: More sad days