CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

More sad days

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More sad days

Hi Guys,

Well I think I made the decision to get rid of my bike.

After my ride down to the the Ace I decided to start a job that I have been putting off for ages.

I have two exhuast studs that are sheared (Fortunatly they werent on the same header so one stud held it fine with a bit of gum to keep the seal). Replacing the studs is one of the most tiresome jobs I have ever done, and I am almost at the stage where I have the first one done!

Anyway I have looked at the jobs I wanted to do over the winter and it just doesnt seem worth it, (Most people would be happy with the bike as she stands.)

All up I would be up for about £1000, and be left with a bike that whilst in great condition would only be worth £1500 max.

Also between the weather and my bike being off road I never get to use it (Barely 2.5k miles a year)

I have a new project planned for next year which willl likely take up a lot of pennies, and mean I eventually will have to get rid of my bike then.

With winter approaching, it's hard to justify throwing £££ at a bike that is going to sit in storage for the best part of 5 months and then having to sell it only to recup what I have spent over the winter!

I intend to put a lot of the old bits back on before selling it, and then sell my upgrades on ebay seperatly (Givi's / seat / TomTom rider) I also have a set of standard end cans that will be going on along with a pair of good forks.

I will likely get the rea wheel powdercoated to match the front and sell them as a pair.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sad to hear that Harry T. Doesn't mean you have to lose all your friends, though.
We'll still be here.
BTW Maybe Sawnee needs those front fork tubes.
It may be cheaper to fit a replacement barrel unit to the bike than drill out the stud...?
I saw one on e-Bay........surely be MUCH cheaper ?

Old 08-16-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Sad to hear that Harry T. Doesn't mean you have to lose all your friends, though.
We'll still be here.
BTW Maybe Sawnee needs those front fork tubes.
It may be cheaper to fit a replacement barrel unit to the bike than drill out the stud...?
I saw one on e-Bay........surely be MUCH cheaper ?

Yes it is sad - I'll still float around though, I've been on the forum scene for a hell of a long time and have to say this is the freindliest one I have found.

As for the barrel unit - I havent got a clue what you're talking about lol

Old 08-16-2009, 02:30 PM

Has sawnee had a spill ?

Old 08-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The barrels are the bits the pistons fit in, and where the exhausts fit on. If it's an exhaust bolt, it would mean replacing the whole set of barrels, but then it'd be good to go.
Sawnee has weaping fork seals, due to some overzealous sanding, and is looking for replacement tubes, Harry T.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thoughts, classic...

Steve (harry), I understand where you're coming from on this one. If you do decide to sell her, keep in touch anyway.

As far as the broken manifold studs, they are definitely a pita. Are you just drilling and tapping them or trying to extract (or both)? Are you using lefthand drill bits?
A center punch, left hand bits, a good extractor, and some heat is usually the way to go.

Anyway, what are the other things you've been meaning to do to her?
If it's just cosmetic, you know it can wait...

Regardless... good luck with whatever you decide...

Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Originally Posted by Shadow
Sawnee has weaping fork seals, due to some overzealous sanding, and is looking for replacement tubes, Harry T.
Nah Pete , it's me that has the weeping fork seals

Harry , don't sell 'till you have too , or at least wait untill spring , it's a bit late in the season for bikes !

If you do sell , stay in touch , your still one of the 'Hurricane Gang', with experience of the bike and some great links posted up on here

If you do want to sell a pair of forks , then I'd be interested

Old 08-16-2009, 11:58 PM

, sell that big **** plasma instead of the cbr! I'd rather than ...although I'm a big fan of both really. Even if I only rode once a year I'd still keep mine. It's cheaper than the therapy I'd need (be forced to have by the family) if I didn't get my fix! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Harry - You can't do this to me !! - I need someone else game for road trips around the UK - haha.

If it's just a question of time or a helping hand - give me a shout - i'm sure we can sort most of the bits out that need it.

As kilgoretrout says - cosmetics can wait for now - just get the mechanicals sorted and enjoy the road.

Quick Reply: More sad days