CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Modifying rear suspension..

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Modifying rear suspension..

Hi Guys,

I have a 1995 CBR1000F (Black / Gold / Grey).

Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can raise the rear of my bike a few inches by modifying or replacing the stock standard shock / spring I have now?

I am 6' 4" tall, and would like a more comfortable ride, and better control.

Thanks.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:46 AM
Banned

Welcome to CBRF Equaliser!! I think your question will get a much better response if you post it in the "Hurricane" section. There's lots of knowledgable and friendly people in there to help you. Got any pics of that 1000F you'd care to share with us?

Good luck with your question and enjoy the forums.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:49 AM

Greetings oh lofty one. How's the weather up there.
I read in a post a long time ago that you can shorten the strap on the dogleg to raise the rear. The only problem is that it doesn't work on a standard exhaust because the exhaust & dogleg collide. Sorry. Bout all I know.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:46 AM

Invest in a HAGON shock, best bit of kit u will ever ever fit to your bike,

there are 2 to look at, the type N and the custom... Both have adjustable damping with automatic rebound and compression balance, a damping adjuster key and are of very good quality finish...

The only difference with the custom is u can have it tailor made in length, 30 40 50 mm bigger, which ever u want, i will most definately be throwing a +40mm type N on mine in the near future

Old 08-19-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Antony_James
i will most definately be throwing a +40mm type N on mine in the near future
[/FONT][/B]
+40mm ?? - are you sure - with the shock stroke to axle movement ratio on the CBR1000F that would jack the rear up something like 150mm or 6"

Old 08-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Default Hagon shock

I researched the rear shock options last year. I found only two possible sources. Hagon used to be Gerling. They were the top of the line back in the '70's. Seems they went the way of the brit bike industry. They should still be worthy of consideration. The other supplier escapes me but they make highend dampers for all kinds of racing machines with more bells and whistles than Hagon. They cost about $1000 vs $750 for the Hagon. Maybe someone can help me with the name of the other maker.

Olins is the name.

Last edited by Bassman; 08-19-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:26 PM

There are still a few options. Works Performance builds good quality streetbike shocks, as does Hagon. I say 'streetbike' because they both have options that keep the price reasonable that others might not offer. For example, you ucan buy both as an emulsion style shock (no remote res.) for $700-$750. I don't know about Hagon, but Ican tell you that if you go with WP, make sure you tell them that it needs to be sprung to handle a passenger and luggage if you plan on touring...they tend to err on the side of soft.

Traxxion Dynamics outside of Atlanta can build an Elka, a Penske, or an Ohlins for your bike. All are pricier than the above alternatives with negligible advantages over same (for streetbike riding), except that you'll get adjustable ride height (not sure on that with the others...haven't investigated yet).

As for length, 40mm is WAY too much. At MOST I'd do 8mm on this bike, assuming the forks are in the stock position. Remember when you raise the rear you're steepening the rake and reducing trail. This will add almost an inch to your rear ride height, increasing ground clearance and quickening the steering a noticeable amount without a dangerously too-large reduction in trail.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:44 PM

If it's a change of shock there are a few out there.

Betor - Nice basic replacement shock

Hagon - Good replacement shock - can be spung to rider spec and has option of remote preload available

Maxton - Build shocks to rider spec - similar to ohlins

K-Tech - Build shocks to rider spec - cheaper than maxton or ohlins

Ohlins - Very good shocks - remote preload and remote damping available

Racetech - Build shocks to rider spec

White Power - Build shocks to rider spec

Old 08-19-2009, 11:30 PM

Thanks for your input guys.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dean0
+40mm ?? - are you sure - with the shock stroke to axle movement ratio on the CBR1000F that would jack the rear up something like 150mm or 6"

Really ?

I only wanna lift by like 30 - 40 mm ... The bike is only gonna be used as a 2 up fully loaded tourer, she sits on her **** sort of at the moment, so with all the luggage, the pillion (all 6 stone of her haha) and me being like 17 stone i thought an extra bit of length would work a treat

I feel too low on her, far too low to the ground

Quick Reply: Modifying rear suspension..