CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

mobile 1 racing 4T synthetic 10W-40

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010 | 08:50 AM
Administrator - Retired

It cannot remove water, acids, or fuel dilution, all of which pass through the filter just as readily as the oil.”
True. And there is no by-pass filter at a smaller micron size that can be used on our bikes.

And how about shearing? Is that all made up??
And do you understand the difference between our bikes and a 16gal capacity diesel motor with by pass filtration?
So why do they re-refine oil chemically instead of just "filtering" it?

What I want to know, Doug, is what filter I should be using in my CBR that's gonna make my oil last forever.
How about the KLR? How will it restore the viscosity back to spec every 3k miles?
Still waiting.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 06-18-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-18-2010 | 09:56 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

LOL...........

So Doug you have 300k on the same oil .... so to use your own quote from OZ

What happens is that it becomes contaminated with water, acids, burnt fuel, carbon particles, and sludge
so that it can no longer provide the desired degree of protection for engine components.
So Doug you plan on this nice little acidic and contaminated brew circulating around
that motor forever or what man ?????

Oh yeah ............. I'm gonna need that super duper ....no oil change filters for my
bike too........so I can keep the same oil forever ............ MAJIC filter name too please .....LOL

May I recommend a visit to BOB

Last edited by Sprock; 06-18-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-18-2010 | 11:14 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

I think what Doug is saying (I haven't read all of this) is that the oil ITSELF doesn't degrade, it's the additives like lubricity improvers etc which go off in time. The basic oil is OK IF it's correctly filtered.
I would agree that you can re-use oil IF it's had all the contaminants removed, and the additives replaced to return it to it's original specs.

The point about poor filters is well made, but most bike filters won't fix the particle problem. An oil change is all that will.
Diesel engines generally have two filters which allows them to run much longer between oil changes.

Are we comparing apples to oranges here.............?

Old 06-18-2010 | 12:45 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

What I want to know, Doug, is what filter I should be using in my CBR that's gonna make my oil last forever.
How about the KLR? How will it restore the viscosity back to spec every 3k miles?
I am not saying there is a Filter that will let you use your oil in your CBR forever. I am just saying that people are more worried about oil and not the filter.

Trout you know I changed my oil and the filter (k&n) leaked. I did and oil change again not even having 300 miles on the oil. Then I changed it again at 1800 miles just before I rode it to Tenn.

So Doug you plan on this nice little acidic and contaminated brew circulating around
that motor forever or what man ?????
I get my oil analysis every 12,000 mile on my truck.

Oh yeah ............. I'm gonna need that super duper ....no oil change filters for my
bike too........so I can keep the same oil forever ............ MAJIC filter name too please .....LOL
Sorry there isn't one yet

Are we comparing apples to oranges here.............?
Yes

Old 06-18-2010 | 01:46 PM
Administrator - Retired

I am not saying there is a Filter that will let you use your oil in your CBR forever.
Exactly, because there isn't one.

I am just saying that people are more worried about oil and not the filter.
As they should be. The level of filtration will only be so good for any bike with the filters we can use.

So what is the magical filter that we're all missing out on?
I use the extended size purolator pure one. I don't use fram becuase I hear they suck, and everyone seems to say the same thing.
But even with the Pure one, my oil will only last so long.
The OCI difference between a good synthetic and a crappy dino oil makes WAY more of a difference to me (and test results) than whether i'm using honda filters or purolators.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 06-18-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2010 | 02:45 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I am just saying that people are more worried about oil and not the filter.

As they should be. The level of filtration will only be so good for any bike with the filters we can use.
No, No, NO People should be more worried about there filter than there oil. The contaminants is what harms your engine. The oil would last a lot longer (forever) if there was no contaminants. That is why you should be more worried about your filter than your oil.

Old 06-18-2010 | 03:33 PM
Cool one more drip

Doug, all due respect, but there's little logic to thinking that motor oil does not wear out. Yes it will remain slick between your fingers and even unloaded bearings, but the engine manufacturers and oil refiners have some well educated people. These folks tell us oil is only going to live so long. The engine guys don't want to buy new motors for everyone so they say change the oil. Of course the guys at Mobil want to sell more oil but the test labs that do SOAP checks don't belong to them, and they say change it. Turbine, reciprocating, diesel, gasoline, doesn't matter, chemical and molecular changes happen to oil that a filter is not going to reverse. A filter has a micron rating for particulate size that will pass. That is all. For BEST results change both.

OH, ...uh NE1000F, I don't use that oil but change my Mobil 1 every 3000 miles, and the filter. Hope that helps.

Last edited by cb2cbr; 06-18-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2010 | 10:01 PM
Administrator - Retired

No, No, NO People should be more worried about there filter than there oil. The contaminants is what harms your engine. The oil would last a lot longer (forever) if there was no contaminants. That is why you should be more worried about your filter than your oil.
I'm skipping over all the other stuff you're wrong about, but you could at least answer the one big question that I'll ask again:

What is the magical filter we should all be using.... the one that none of us are worried about???

Is it wix? Purolator? Honda? Fram? Quaker state? (used to be purolator, now fram). Motorcraft? Mobil 1? (purolator)

Most filters are rebranded from one of the other manufacturers anyway, so that will be fun.

If I choose a purolator filter (which I do) and can get 8k out of Rotella T6...... how much longer would my oil last with say.... a wix filter? If wix is worse, how many less miles will I get?
Same with all the rest of them.
Let us all know!! You're holding out on us, Doug!

And if I change my filter 10 times over the course of the 8k miles, how is it gonna filter any better than if I just stuck the the original filter? Unless the media is blinded and going into bypass, isn't it gonna filter the same as the original?

Old 06-18-2010 | 10:48 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Holy **** ....... this one still in play ............! LOL

Doug .......seriously Dude point well taken on using a quality filters

Fram I personally stay away from, prefer wix/napa, Hi Flo, Purolator & derivatives
K&N , Bosch & STP .......that's it !

But .......when the manufacturer of the motor specifies
oil be changed at prescribed intervals .........that is good
enough for me man I'm not going to let the additive
package deteriorate to the point where seals harden and
premature wear occurs ! Why would you want that ?

Trout if you did for some bizarre reason (which I know you
wouldn't) change the filter ONLY ....10 times in 8k miles
then you'd have to add back in 10 filters worth of oil
so .....ya are still adding new oil when a filters worth
comes out ......... SO Doug ........even just changing
filters ....Guess what .....you still to put in new oil for
what you just lost with the filter change ... this is nuts

A crazy kind of keyboarding exercise I guess

Old 06-19-2010 | 12:23 AM

Is it me or did this thread get way off topic?

Quick Reply: mobile 1 racing 4T synthetic 10W-40