CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

miles on your ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: miles on your ride

Hi all

I am a new member and 3rd owner of a 113,000 kms cbr 1989. I get a lot of chain rattle at start up but otherwise the bike runs well and the engine is still sound with no major work done. I simply love this bike, my partner loves the pillion position and we regularly ride weekends together. I commute most days on the bike and it always puts a smile on my face.

ps. does anyone know of a vfr tensioner that is a possible replacement for the cbr hydraulic dampened tensioner?

Old 08-06-2005, 09:54 AM

1996 With a little over 8K miles...
I plan on putting about 3K miles on it before I put it up for the winter...

Len

Old 08-06-2005, 09:35 PM

1990 CBR 1000 with 44k. Replaced the pulse generator. When it goes bad there is no ignition advance. Also broke the plastic connector between the front sprocket and speedo cable. Three times. Front tire wears out before the rear. Anyone else have that.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:37 PM

Now that you mention it, yes, my front tires wear out long before the rears. I have a ton of tread down the middle but the edges are worn beyond the wear bars in no time. The rear will last me quite a while. I've been running Metzeler Z6s for the past few sets and have been pleased with the overall results. My riding leans 80% sport/canyon and 20% commute.

Oh, my ride has somewhere around 65,000 miles on it and it's spent more time down due to mechanical failures than any motorcycle I have ever known (outside of HD). The previous owner should be arrested and shot for felony motorcycle neglect.

New cam chain tensioner at 3k under warranty and I changed it again at 63,000 miles. Guides were in great shape so I left them alone.

My only problem is a ticking like a old manual typewriter when it's cold. I makes me absolutely crazy, but since I wear earplugs I pretend not to notice it's there.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:58 AM

ORIGINAL: slowpoke
Replaced the pulse generator. When it goes bad there is no ignition advance.
what is that part? is the advance-system all electrical... ? i might have the same problem,
i already modified the ignition rotor to get more adv, but maybe that pulse gen is gone...
where is that part is it pricey?

Old 08-10-2005, 01:42 PM

I used my 30-year-old timing light to check the timing. At idle, the mark was on the T when it should be on F. Never moved off the T when reved. The pulse generator is on the left side of the crank. It was around $50.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:18 PM

You guys trip me out...
Your front tires wear before the back??? No way!!! I burn up the back tires waaaaaay before the front goes out. Maybe you have too much preload in the rear???? I do a lot of spirited riding, and my backs always burn up faster than the front. I get a 2-to-1 ratio right now. I just mouted up M1's and I don't know how they are going to react, but I will see. But so far, they are truly burning up pretty quick!!

That ignition advance sounds interesting.. Did it make a noticeable difference in your acceleration when you replaced it???? What made you realize that u were having a problem with it in the first place??? (The Pulse Generator) Were u getting pinging at idle or irratic idle?? I'm curious...

Old 08-15-2005, 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: slowpoke

I used my 30-year-old timing light to check the timing. At idle, the mark was on the T when it should be on F. Never moved off the T when reved. The pulse generator is on the left side of the crank. It was around $50.

[sm=dontgetit.gif] the pulse generator is just a pickup coil with no intelligence... mechanical nor electronic... isnt it the ignition-box that produce the igntion advance regarding rpm... [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 08-15-2005, 06:11 PM

27k miles on 1990 CBR1000F. The only required repair was a voltage rectifier about 200 miles ago. Bike just died on the freeway. Mods include taller windshield, Heli Bars and Corbin saddle. The Corbin was for my wife. It is great for her since it has a back support but since I sit lower and further from the handle bars it is tough on my back as others have commented. Comfy for my bum though. When I ride solo I use the stock seat. I love this bike!

Old 08-16-2005, 12:37 AM

Front tires on these bikes go way faster than the rear, at least in my case. I also do alot of, ahem, "spirited", riding and these bikes are so heavy that any push at all in a turn will wear those babys out quick! Preload and suspention are set up right, but riding in this fashion puts alot of wear on that front. I thought I was the only one, but now I see we can start a club!

Quick Reply: miles on your ride