CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Maybe stupid electrical type question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:00 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe stupid electrical type question

Just noticed today that whenever I pull up at a cafe or bar, whatever, I always stop the old girl with the key rather than the kill switch.

I guess the main reason I do that is so that, in my advancing years, I don't make a right **** of myself by trying to restart the bike with the kill switch in the off position.

But is there any reason that one is better that the other?

Old 03-04-2012, 05:32 AM

Yeah, there is one reason at least. I had problems years ago with my kill switch, where my bike didn`t want to restart after using it. Ever since then I've stopped using it. Now, I just use the key to shut it down or I drop my kickstand in gear.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:23 AM
R.I.P. Jason

I logged in this morning to ask the same question. When I left work last night my bike wouldn't start. I tinkered with wires and checked fuses and at some point turning the kill switch on and off several times I heard the fuel pump charge up and it started. My question is, do I need to look at fixing it or is it acceptable to just drop the kickstand. Any other thoughts on the matter?Thanks for the info!
Name:  IMG_0681.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  9.0 KBName:  IMG_0669.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  17.7 KB

Old 03-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The purpose of the kill-switch is to be able to shut-off the engine in the event of an
accident. The point of always shutting down the bike with the kill-switch is muscle-memory,
in preparation for that same accident. At least, that's the best I've been able to find
in researching on the subject.

The switch is supposed to be designed for a heavy, duty-cycle for that reason.
It shouldn't hurt the bike to use it habitually. Either method should be fine.
PotAtoe, potAHtoe...

Ern

Old 03-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My thinking is that the kill switch is to be used by someone other than the rider. They were put there for first responders to use if you were down. They are all placed in the same spot to find easily.

Some bikes have keys down below behind the riders legs. First responders can't get to them if the bike is laid down on that side. At an accident, it would be like an Easter egg hunt looking for the key to kill the bike.

You have to turn the key regardless of the switch. I don't use mine because the less things I use the less things wear out.

I may use mine from time to time when I can't find neutral or I want to kill the engine with both feet down and both hands on the bars,with a rider on back.

Other than what I mentioned, what's the thinking behind using the kill switch? " I'm going to kill the engine with the switch and now I'm really going to kill it with the key."

Old 03-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pacojoseph
Yeah, there is one reason at least. I had problems years ago with my kill switch, where my bike didn`t want to restart after using it. Ever since then I've stopped using it. Now, I just use the key to shut it down or I drop my kickstand in gear.
Ditto

And Ern's spot on too !

Old 03-06-2012, 04:37 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
without the old girl to go and talk to in the garage I might have to reacquaint myself with my wife.
Wohhaaa!! There cowboy! Lets not do anything too hasty now!

Explain to me again, which old lady you're a puttin' in that there museum and which one you're a keepin' at home?

If the bike goes in the museum, make sure you give it to them really dirty. That way they'll have to give her a thorough good clean for ya

Old 03-06-2012, 04:37 AM

Does the cooling fan still run if the bike is switched off with the key?
With the kill switch it does, just wondering. Can't be arsed to pop into the garage to check.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:48 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by BaronIsle
Does the cooling fan still run if the bike is switched off with the key?
With the kill switch it does, just wondering. Can't be arsed to pop into the garage to check.
No, no it won't, but I don't think I've ever had my fan running when I've stopped. New Zealand just isn't like that. We don't have the slow mo traffic issues that some countries do.

Quick Reply: Maybe stupid electrical type question