CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Maybe I shouldn't have purchased off ebay...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe I shouldn't have purchased off ebay...

Well I have been riding this bike (1994 1000F-R) for about 2000-3000 miles on the belief that, as the seller told me, it had been laid down at low speed by the previous owner. I am begining to think that the guy I bought from was a liar. So the rattle at idle that I have has been getting worse and my dad and I started to take the bike apart according to the hayes manual. We starting taking panels off and some of them were being held on by zip ties and bondo. There is a lot of panel damage and it looks as though EVERY panel has been replaced with junk yard parts. This leads us to think this was not just a simple lay down. At this point I was wondering if I should cut bait and sell this thing for parts... or try and find or repair the damaged peices (there is no way we can put this back together). Has anyone been in this situation? What you yall do?

MDFF

Old 08-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Maybe I shouldn't have purchased off ebay...

Either find some aftermarket plastics or chop and sell for parts. If the bike runs well and handles o.k. then I'd go for the aftermarket plastics. The bike is 12 years old so no telling how many owners and how many "lay" downs.

Important thing is that you've learned to inspect a potential bike more closely in the future.

Good luck, dude ...

Old 08-20-2006, 07:47 PM

if ur gonna buy plastics, the only place you'll find them is air tech

Old 08-20-2006, 07:48 PM

wait discard that last comment i thought you had an 88 for some reason, but if you wanna part it out, i will take the wheels and swingarm.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:07 PM

Yeah, deffinetly a leason learned here.

Well it runs just fine and handles great. Its not really a total loss. I think, after talking with my dad, is to try and repair what we can, he has some good ideas, but we need some parts. I have been looking through the OEM ones and they are insane. So whats the best place for aftermarket parts (gaskets, seals, bolts, ect.)?

MDFF

EDIT nevermind found some parts places in this thread: https://cbrforum.com/m_142396/tm.htm. Still crazy prices... anyone know anything else, let me know.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: mdfirefighter

Yeah, deffinetly a leason learned here.

Well it runs just fine and handles great. Its not really a total loss. I think, after talking with my dad, is to try and repair what we can, he has some good ideas, but we need some parts. I have been looking through the OEM ones and they are insane. So whats the best place for aftermarket parts (gaskets, seals, bolts, ect.)?

MDFF

EDIT nevermind found some parts places in this thread: https://cbrforum.com/m_142396/tm.htm. Still crazy prices... anyone know anything else, let me know.

Sorry for your trouble. Maybe this isn't of much help, but there is a simple and cheap way to fix and stabilise cracks on panels so they at least dont get worse. Use an ordinary electric solder iron and melt togheter the crack from the inside. Then cut like 3/8 inch long steel wires, 1/16 inch thick, and melt them down across the crack about every 1 inch, also from the inside. You can use the same metod for securing lose mounting tabs also. The baked in steel wires will make the plastic real strong. My bike had been tipped several times by previos owners (and once by me...). I fixed all cracks this way, except for the top fairing which was ruined beyond repair and had to be replaced. When I recently sold the bike, I pointed out where is has been damaged and fixed as mentioned above. I got no other comments than that the bike looked great, which it did.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:07 PM

I got mine off ebay... it had a much nicer history... I'm the third owner, it's lived all its life indoors. A vent hole fin is cracked, other than that, everything is in good nick.

There's also a thread on here somewhere about epoxy and how it can work really well for the sort of work you have ahead of you.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:10 PM

That is a great tip and I'm deffinetly going to have to try that. There is a lot of fixing I'm going to have to do. Of course this is all after I get the top cover back on the engine (Stupid Gasket!). Then gotta get a new tire on the rear, remove and pain the swing arm, replace the plugs and wires, sync the carbs, whew... I think body repairs are the least of my worries.

EDIT - Triangle do you have a link? If not that cool, I know where the search button is

MDFF

Old 08-21-2006, 12:03 AM

The bike looks great in your avatar, so before you do anything drastic check out this book from the library (Denver has it in the main branch) : How to repair plastic bodywork : practical, money-saving techniques for cars, motorcycles, trucks, ATVs, and snowmobiles / Kurt Lammon. He tells you what glue to use on what plastic, and how to do the repairs. By the way, I thought we were going to ride this summer. But you have plastic problems and I have an ignition problem.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:56 AM

1tail.com has sets for these bikes for cheap. i dont know if they have ur year or not, but either way u should try them

Quick Reply: Maybe I shouldn't have purchased off ebay...