CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Lumps and Bumps Airborn Hurricane

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lumps and Bumps Airborn Hurricane

Yep - we call them 'truck ruts' where heavy vehicles have squished the tar into a ridge.
I hit one in a tightish left hander a couple of years ago, ended up doing a handstand on the bars while trying to keep the bike turned........................hooooooooooooooooooo ooooo
no thanks. My bike did the same as yours, just held the line, and after I had recovered from crunching my nuts on the tank, wiping my eyes, and my ****, off we went.
These bikes are truly great old ladies.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once I had a similar experience but with a monument to the speed bumps, unfortunately here in Mexico you would wake up one morning, going to your usual road for a ride and you will see a tiny sign saying.."speed bump..here!!!" of course there is no paint on them...'cause there is not that much budget you know...so anyway I hit one of this gigantic speed bumps.

I was riding with a couple of guys, and I was in the middle, so I had like a second to watch my bouddy in front with his CB750 flying high in the sky, I apply both front and rear breaks for a fraction of second and then release them leaving the colorina gliding through the speed bump, I was probably bot tyres in the air for 30 or 50 cms but to me was like jumping the Grand Canyon.

My buddy in the back had better reaction time and he just told us in the next stop how funny we were trying to get a grip in the handle bar and watching our feet waiving like bird's wings while our ***** where crushing into the gas tanks....

We also have this bumps made by heavy trucks but at least we know where they are located as they form part of our regular landmarks...

Cheers and V's,
Luis

Old 11-26-2008, 01:22 PM

Perhaps try South Australia. Bad roads & drought. One spot on one of my regular rides has a lump the size of mount everest from a tree root on a fast curve just where you need to set up for a set of quick tight bends. I've been watching it grow over the last couple of weeks but the first time I hit it I had dejavu about landing in blackberries. I must agree that other than the tears in my eyes & lump in my throat "my backside was already numb" the cane just tracked as if the lump wasn't there. Luckily the road really leads no where so is not popular with bikes but it should be as it's a cracker of a road. We just had the Classic Car Rally & this road seems to have taken it's toll on them. Easy to spot where they have gone over embankments & hit shear rock faces but on a bike slow or fast it's a top ride.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:47 PM

hey steve, i did have a simalar experiance, the second time i rode mine i was taking a 90 degree corner and got two thirds the way through when i saw a huge frost heave, still in a really good lean entering the corner faster than needed, didnt have time to do anything but hold on, the whole bike jumped over about two feet and a nice twitch from the bars, recovered only inches from the dirt. any other bike and i would been in the trees. after going home and changing my undies and having a beer did my heart calm down. needless to say i know where all the bumps in my area are.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:06 AM

hey steve, a frost heave is caused when the ground freezes solid as rock from the moisture in the dirt, as you know when water freezes it expands. so it causes big bumps in the road where parts of the road expand more than others. usually there is a drain culvert under ground that gets forced up by the frost in the ground and creates a huge bump on the surface. a big problem up here, especially in the spring time when the ground is thawed in some areas and froze in the other.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:37 PM

The frost heaves are pretty common in here also but the best jump i have had with my cane is still on railway crossing. I was riding around 60kmph in town and the railway crossing was ahead. It was on higher ground than road so it was like little hill on the road. Just when riding uphill i went almost full throttle on 2nd gear maybe i just hoped to get a little wheelie there or i don't know what i thought but the cane thought it is good idea to make a pretty good jump and for me to land on the fuel tank with my fragile area[&:] At least i hope it looked fun if someone watched it on the railway

Quick Reply: Lumps and Bumps Airborn Hurricane