CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for opinions

I almost got creamed. The old "someone decided the wanted to be in my lane instead of the one they were in for no apparent reason". I hit the brakes hard then went to his right. I made contact with a high concrete curb but some how didn't go down. I was more pissed than OMG. Anyway he apologized yada yada yada.

Here is where I was hoping for feedback. When this happens to you, do you tell the "other half". I didn't tell anybody about it, my opinion is why tell anyone if they are just going to worry every time I'm on my bike. What do you guys think?

Old 05-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Default RE: looking for opinions

That's a hard one.

You could go half way, make it sound that you had full control of the situation (you know, lie).
or, I don't like lying (can't always remember what I said), say 'If I was in the car, I would have been screwed'
That way you can vent but not embed the 'sell the bike' seed to the other half.

I would also look at the situation and say, If I had rode or positioned myself differently, could it have helped (probably not, but, you need to assess what happened and file it under experience)

Old 05-04-2008, 07:33 PM

I wouldn't tell her. If she is anything like my old lady, things wil only get worse and she'll give you a lot more of those
"you are gonna die" speeches. I do agree with what mark said... file it under experience.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:46 PM

I'm lucky where this is concerned. My partner accepts that with riding a bike comes a certain amount of risk. I tell my partner near enough to every incident. Let's be honest. It's real easy to be in the wrong place @ the wrong time. Not only do we as riders need to accept the risk but so too do our partners. At the end of the day it is up to us as a rider & as someones partner/father/mother to do all we can to not only blow out the cobwebs but return to our families. Learn from the near miss. It happened for a reason.
I don't Know how much riding experience you have but we can all learn new skills & sometimes need to go back to basics. I have put in a link to a website that has many of these basics. It's Australian but the principals are the same anywhere. Enjoy your bike as there is nothing better but do it safe & be true to your partner.
When I bid a fellow rider goodbye I often use the term(stay upright).
http://www.sportrider.com/motorcycle_riding/index.html

Stay upright Blue

p.s. My partner has read this post & she agrees.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:16 PM

If i may

I will post this link http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...ays/index.html

This my rules on the road , i always read them at the beginning of the season, and 2 or 3 times during the season. Always good to remind yourself.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1 Post the near miss under "experience"
2 GREAT ARTICLES, BLUEBEARD AND DRAGON ![sm=exactly.gif]
They should be required reading for all new bike riders.......

Old 05-05-2008, 06:18 AM

Very good information there. Thanks for the reminders as watching snowflakes for months tends to weaken the abilityto ride...

Although I am surely guilty of abusing a few of the top 50, I must say I also practice alot of what is said there. I have a bad habit of listening to my mp3 player during longer rides, although I dont play it super loud or anything. I find its better than listening to wind. Is it recommended to have animal whistles mounted to your bike? I've seen them for cars but for a bike? And drive wit your fingers on your front brake ALL the time??? I got my knuckles wrapped a few times by motorcycle driving instructors for NOT having all my fingers on the grips unless I was braking.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:46 AM

my girl is mostly on the back in the bad times i try to think how can i take the impact to save her. I have a theory if i brake hard till the last second then full noise on impact. do you think i will soften the impact that she will take?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 AM

She would be better off to be as close to your back as possible to avoid her slamming into you at whatever speed your traveling.

Or

Try these.....

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/airba...bag-jacket.htm

Old 05-05-2008, 08:54 AM

Thanks to all for feedback and great articles. ( Blue and Dragon!) I love this forum, here all the time. Being a newbie I don't have much wisdom to share. Hey Dragon we have the same bike, I just had the pleasure of changing my headlight bulb this weekend. That was an adventure, thanks to Honda for making it so easy! 2 hours later and 3/4 of my fairings off. A good education though!

Quick Reply: looking for opinions