CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Look what I did

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look what I did

well, I had too much fun, I was on a road that look similar to the one in my avatar picture, and then i went and did this

https://cbrforum.com/m_107261/mpage_.../tm.htm#107261

i'm bummed, but I'm not hurt.. I guess that's what counts..

Keep the shiney stuff shiney!!!

Anyone got some fairings???

Old 05-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Default RE: Look what I did

Crazy,
did the bike flip over a few times?
What saved your ***.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:08 PM

Congrats, you are connected with the real big guys now, Rossi, Seté, Hayden and all other driving actively and eating gravel every week ! I still have occasional pain (quite bearable) in the arm, two years after waking up on the grass at he end of the high speed corner at track. Dont aks me how I got there, but it was real fun until then. Maybe the *** in front of me runned to fast... I guess most people pushing the bike are fully aware that a crasch will come one day and is nothing to care about as long as one recover. I good thing about it, except for worthful experience, was that I could put a new colour sceme on the bike, the one I really wanted all the time. I also learned that there is always a lot more to learn in this difficult art.

Glad you are OK and to hear that you are taking it with humor and self distance.

One question - did you lost the front, highsided, lost back due to panic rear braking or just went where you looked when you crashed?

Keep up good spirit ! I'm a little impressed that you ask for it so to say, by driving the way you did, and especially not blaiming any other person or thing.

I have a better understanding for your discalimer now [X(]

Old 05-28-2006, 03:43 PM

well, I was leaned over about as far as I could go and just didn't quite make the corner, so I hit the wet/gravel/ditch and just bailed it... I think I basically rode it into the ditch... I must have distanced myself from the bike though because I dont' have a bruise on me

well, the entire ride was far too fun, even a crash, one that you can walk and ride away from, could ruin it. sure, a better front tire might have helped.. but probably not... the "spirited riding" wear on the front tire in the pictures you see.. I did that in less that 10 miles riding... look at the following map and look at now wonderfully twisty those roads are
http://maps.google.com/?t=h&om=1&ll=...02777,0.005375

Old 05-28-2006, 03:59 PM

Yes that curve, I supose you moved out in the severe 90 degrees turn. Running 75 km/h in such curve is probably about the limit if the lane is not very wide and you can increase the radious. What front tyre did you use?

One more thing, it looks to me as the front tyre is mounted in the wrong direction. It may be right on your tyre, but all tyres I've used have the arrow pattern pointing back on top to stabilise the tyre. In your picture, the front tyre is patterned as a rear tyre or tyres on cars to prevent water skiing on wet roads.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:46 PM

it's a battleaxe bt45 I think

however, I have some other news about that corner... I went up there to pick up the shards of my fender etc, and I came across a red piece of plastic, which is slightly faded, and of course broken as well.. now there is no faded plastic on my bike, and I can't figure out where the shape would fit, my only guess would be the instrument cluster, but mine is intact... so.. I'M NOT THE FIRST to bail on that corner!! I stepped it out, from the time I touched gravel to the time I stopped was 15M (50 feet), and the rock I hit no doubt reduced my stopping distance by 10 feet.. from the looks of the tracks, my rear tire hit gravel first, unless both were in exactly the same groove, it's a little hard to tell.. I forgot to bring the digicam up there to take pictures of the site.. maybe I will still do that at some point

Old 05-28-2006, 08:06 PM

The Battlax BT45 is a touring tyre which dont offer enough grip to promote inspired driving in turns. There are to much groves vs friction surface, that should make them real dangerous when they have passed best-before-date.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:09 PM

well, depending on my plans for the bike, if I really go all out with new fairings, headers, etc, I will most definitely be getting a new tire as well

Old 05-29-2006, 12:46 AM

In case you can't find replacement fairings, have a look at this post... https://cbrforum.com/m_93487/tm.htm

Old 05-29-2006, 02:23 AM

when pieces are missing, it makes the job a lot harder, it may save some of the bodywork though, but I thinkif I go to a wrecker and just say "all the bodywork" i will probably pay the same price as taking a few bits and pieces