CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Light smoke, running rough...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Light smoke, running rough...

UHH I think I just read that I will have to replace the cam chain. Is this right?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're having to replace the headgasket, doing the camchain and CCT would make sense.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:54 PM

After looking at the manual and the parts diagram on Bikebandit it looks like I better replace the upper gasket and the lower gasket along with the cover gasket. Is that what you see or have experienced?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably the best bet........I'm assuming the head isn't warped..?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:05 PM

Always best to check the head and cylinder sealing surfaces for warpage when replacing a head gasket, especially if your replacing the gasket due toa sealing failure. A warped head or cyclinder may be why the gasket failed in the first place.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:39 AM

Tried to reply yesterday but couldn't - i'll try again.

Before you go stripping the engine to change a head gasket, i'd be inclined to strap the petrol tank off your other bike onto it to see how it runs then.

Changed the petrol tap and had the tank recoated? That makes me a little suspicious.

A blown head gasket on an 11,000 mile engine is real unlucky (although not entirely unheard of)

When did she last have a good run? The smoke you describe could just be condensation in the exhaust boiling off.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:45 AM

Blown head gasket with all compression good? Nope - unless the gasket has blown between the oilways and the waterways. Look for contaminated oil or water.

Valve guides worn? Again, 11,000 miles?? With worn valve guides you get blue smoke on start up (not after a few minutes) that burns off in a matter of a few seconds.

I'll bet you a half eaten orio that it's something to do with the tank and/or petrol tap.

And i'll bet a whole one that the head gasket is fine

Old 07-16-2008, 02:51 PM

Okay, I have no fluid leaks at all. Nothing to suggest a warped head from the exterior. The last good run was almost 25-30 miles. Running great but a slight cough at times. I hit about 130MPH and I seen a cop so I backed off and at the same time I lost all fuel flow into the bowls on the carbs. Pulled over and sat for about 3-4 minutes for them to fill up again and she started up fine. 7-8 miles later and almost home she started to bogg down and loosing power. Stopped and could not get started at all. Trailered it to a friend’s house and cleaned the carbs, and filters in the carbs and charged the battery (I ran it down trying to start). About two days later I started her up and no smoke until she
was warmed up. Drove almost a mile to my house and was smoking the whole way.
She does not smoke until about two minutes of running. Shut her off and start up again and no smoke until two minutes later. Smoke does not burn the eyes, and is not sweet smelling - coolant. Although, I am running Valvaline Auto Oil....something with that maybe? I did check the oil today with a syringe and no water, separation or cloudy stuff at all, just oil. Looked into the coolant reservoir and it is fine, no oil.

Ran a second compression check today topping the piston out four times each and all went great, 145,145, 145, and 150.

Thanks for the help guys
Russ

Old 07-16-2008, 02:52 PM

Wow, Guy's I am sorry that last one took soooo looonggg to reply to. I took out a few words: L.I.K.E x3, and a W.h.i.l.e and it worked!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:58 PM

I was also told from a local honda mechanic that thisis a ring problem on one of the pistons. Never the less I just bought all my gaskets and a new set of rings from Hondaparts-direct.com in Texas. The best prices around the US that I have found.

Quick Reply: Light smoke, running rough...