CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Leaking fuel when on the side stand

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking fuel when on the side stand

Guys, I need some help. Last week, on the way to a "toy ride" it happened again. When I put the bike on the side stand fuel leaks from the carbs, at least it seems like it leaks from the carbs. Tank was only 3/4 full and not near the filler opening.
The petcock is new and turning it off does not seem to have any effect.

Have any of u guys had this happen to U?

I intend to pull the plastic and see if I can see where it is coming from, problem is that it doesn't happen every time.

Any Help is truly appreciated!

Old 12-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the rubber petrol hose going into the tank(and down to the carbs)- they sometimes perish and it smells bad - mine did.....fit some cable ties around it, job done.
Could also be the O rings in the carbs (much more work)

Old 12-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is it's your floats, at least one of them is sticking & there you have the overflow leak.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Az1kF
My guess is it's your floats, at least one of them is sticking & there you have the overflow leak.
Being a 96 with a vacuum petcock, the gas flow should stop once the engine is off

Old 12-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by malbojah
Being a 96 with a vacuum petcock, the gas flow should stop once the engine is off
Yes, that's probably true. However, if more than one float valve is not sealing correctly, then there is nothing to prevent the flow of fuel from one carburetor to another, over filling the lowest one while on the side stand. It is possible to siphon from one carb to another by way of the "T" fitting between the carbs.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:46 AM

I suspect it is one or more float, the symptoms indicate that rather than the petcock. Thanks for ur replies.
Has anyone R&R'ed the seats in these carbs?
Thanks again

Old 12-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Yes, that's probably true. However, if more than one float valve is not sealing correctly, then there is nothing to prevent the flow of fuel from one carburetor to another, over filling the lowest one while on the side stand. It is possible to siphon from one carb to another by way of the "T" fitting between the carbs.
Yep! And another problem could be that fuel is passing down through the rings and into the oil.

Tomttt, you should smell the oil dip stick to see if it smalls like gas. If so you also need to do an oil change. I depends on how much fuel is actually passing, if any, to thin the oil.

I had a sticky float a few years ago and all I did was run a tank full with carb/injection cleaner and it removed the crap that was plating out between the needle and seat.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could this be a job for that Seafoam stuff for those of you who have used it before?

Old 12-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Az1kF
Could this be a job for that Seafoam stuff for those of you who have used it before?
Seafoam works great but I don't know if it will remove heavy deposits as quickly as the injection cleaners.

I mentioned doing this because it may be the quick fix if you are lucky. There may be a hunk of crap like sand or something else that may not dissolve and you may need to take them apart. If you are lucky, the cleaner may be all you need. It doesn't hurt to try.

Quick Reply: Leaking fuel when on the side stand