CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Knocking sound when shutting off throttle in gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where do you feel the clunk at? and does it make a clunking sound or do you just feel it. I know when i release the throttle on my 95 cbr1kf i feel a little jolt on the front ends. I checked everything and just figured it was normal. I will be following this for sure and welcome to the cbr1kf club you will love the bike

Old 09-09-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by herbcbr1000f
where do you feel the clunk at? and does it make a clunking sound or do you just feel it. I know when i release the throttle on my 95 cbr1kf i feel a little jolt on the front ends. I checked everything and just figured it was normal. I will be following this for sure and welcome to the cbr1kf club you will love the bike
Hi herbcbr1000f
Thanks a lot for the welcome and yes I'm loving the bike and the forum but so far the forum is performing a little better than the bike!!

Yes, 'clunk' is a good description of the sound/knock. I can be cruising at say 50mph varying the throttle openings slightly to maintain speed but as the drive stops on throttling off a little I'm feeling this clunk in the area of the engine sprocket. Open the throttle again and it snatches a little then it's fine under load. Close the throttle again and 'clunk' again.

Regards
Stuart

Old 09-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Stuart,
Welcome to the home of CBRs mate.
Southern woofter to hard northern bastard handshake?
The play in the front sprocket is perfectly normal and meant to be there.
The 5-10 mm play at the cush drive is not normal. A new cush drive set is as tight as a nuns chuff. Change the rubbers. Loads on ebay and not that expensive from Honda.
That should sort you out. Sounds like you've got your mother's hands so handling a spanner isn't a problem for you is it.
There's so much information on this site it puts the British library to shame. Use and abuse at will!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:17 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-10-2011, 01:31 AM
Default Knocking when throttling off in gear

More responses!!
Really grateful to all of you guys for the tips and welcomes, it's a rare experience in todays world!

I've checked out ebay for the rubbers - Durex Featherlight is all I can find - or am I looking for the wrong thing!!! lol.

Seriously though, yes, there are a number of listings for Cush Drive Rubbers, for information pricing is between £13.00 and £30.00 for used ones depending on the dreaded P&P. (my Dad always told me never to use a rubber after someone else has!) They're only around £35.00 new so I'll probably do that.

It's 07:25 and I'm off into the shed to see how she is this morning....

Old 09-10-2011, 01:33 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like sprocket and chain - maybe time for new running gear ?
I didn't know the balancer shaft ran on a chain..................?
I learn new stuff every day.

Could it be loose engine mounting bolts ?

Cush drives could be the culprit but over all the years I've not had any trouble in that area.
Who knows, maybe I have and didn't realise it. Henry seems to be well up on the subject.

My bet would be a loose/stretched chain and possibly a shagged front sprocket.
And buy a new set of TROJANS - I believe they are "knock proof"

Old 09-10-2011, 02:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STUARTST4
More responses!!
Really grateful to all of you guys for the tips and welcomes, it's a rare experience in todays world!

I've checked out ebay for the rubbers - Durex Featherlight is all I can find - or am I looking for the wrong thing!!! lol.

Seriously though, yes, there are a number of listings for Cush Drive Rubbers, for information pricing is between £13.00 and £30.00 for used ones depending on the dreaded P&P. (my Dad always told me never to use a rubber after someone else has!) They're only around £35.00 new so I'll probably do that.

It's 07:25 and I'm off into the shed to see how she is this morning....
I'd have to agree with your Dad mate...

Nothing good is ever going to come from googling 'rubbers'. My money's on the cush drive too.

Quick Reply: Knocking sound when shutting off throttle in gear