CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Kia Ora from NZ

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kia Ora from NZ

Hi guys! Have enjoyed looking through the forum and reading some of the very informative posts about what seems to a very underated bike.
I'm in the market for a reliable 'cheapish' new scoot after selling my 04 CB900 hornet earlier this year and the CBR is on my hit list. Have seen one advertisied privately in my area and hope to go and check it out soon. Was wondering what should I be looking for and what questions should I ask the owner. The bike is a 91 with 38000 kms. It's just apparently had a full service and the owner has had it for a year and a half buying it off someone he knew - suspect its the Ulysees club. he's looking for $5k NZD but is emigrating to Oz in Jan so could be up for a quick cash deal.

Cheers in advance.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Default RE: Kia Ora from NZ

Make sure it's 38,000, not 138,000k

Old 11-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like someone we know.......
Maybe Bazman's bike.......?

Old 11-14-2008, 09:58 PM

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=187359141

Link to bike!

Just had a quick look at it and it and the seller seem genuine. Bodywork in good condition with no respray evident, all chips and scratches as they should be for a 17 year old bike. Surface rust on swingarm and foot pedals, mufflers in fair condition although they have a small hole on the underside which blows out condensation/gas - is this right? Brake rotors have surface rust but no grooves or lips. Clearly the bike has not been used very much the last few years. Started her up and the engine was as smooth as, no rattles, blips just purred away
Will have to get a more mechanically minded mate to give it a good going over though before making my mind up.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those are original colours - could have been resprayed but doubt it.
It isn't Bazman's bike........(he's going to Oz in Jan too)
Has a Ventura rack like Classic's bike. See if the rucksack's available......?
Original pipes
Looks like a solid 91.

Here's my 90........
It'll serve you well.........

Old 11-15-2008, 02:54 PM

The paint work is definately original, bar ends and mirrors show battle scars of having been dropped at standstill a few times, grab rail is chipped from the bag rack which is included in the sale with the bag. He hasn't tried to cover anything up, it's pretty dirty underneath and the chain and sprockets haven't been cleaned in a long time! Threw the camchain, carb and valves questions at him and got a blank look back, so they obviously haven't been looked at since he's owned it and he has no paper chain of servicing by previous owners.
Price is indicative of the NZ marketplace - $5k seems to be the watershed, anything under it is seriously old, not original or has issues - but the market dictates prices and with people selling off their toys to release cash in thye economic downturn here there should be a bargain to be had!
Hoping to have a look at a 94 model soon to compare.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:06 AM

Hi Bytor.

Welcome from a fellow kiwi.

Good to have another kiwi to keep the aussies in line....

These guys are a wealth of knowledge and always happy to help or put their 2c in...

Thats a tidy looking bike. One thing a would ask the buyer about is the mileage as these are in miles and not k's. Check to see if he converted it in the ad otherwise its closer to 60800 k's. And our NZ ownership papers don't say which it is either.

What part of NZ are you?

Cheers and good luck with the bike..
PS: If it dosen't happen, mine's up for sale soonish...

Barry.