CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

just curious to know :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends if you eat to live, or you live to eat......................

Cheapest way to get more grunt is to change your sprockets, either down 1 tooth on the front, or three up on the rear (or both if you have good life insurance.) then just add the nitrous OMG !!
You'll lose top end speed though......but you'll get there a lot quicker (and empty your wallet the same as buying engine spares.......)

I heard of a Hurricane engine producing 320BHP - runs on methanol, has undercut crank, high comp pistons etc etc etc - the mods cost more than the whole bike is worth..........but as has been said ad infinitum - each to his own.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

THE DOCTOR went form the faster Honda to the Yamaha with less power and still wins. Being smooth in the turns is better than power.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EpicLife
ok i see what u guys mean , was just wondering if anything on the engine was interchangeable with anything else . me and the guys work on honda cars and alot of the stuff are interchangeable with one another and was wondering if it could apply ot this perticuler bike
If these bikes were produced in the gazillions as economy cars and were cheap and plentiful and passed down from mom to a young tuner market to start tweaking and finding out how to make little racers out of them, then hell, it would be easier for all of us.

Hurricanes were already built as high performance machines. Sure you can squeeze more out of them, for a price

But that is not the case here. One of the best bikes of its era and still able to scare the bejeezus out of me, but let's face it, most hipo parts are discontinued and if you can find them used, they're just as old as your bike.

I recommend that you tune it to spec. Make sure it corners and stops as well as the new bikes and you're going to be satisfied with it.

If you want to be a street racer, that's simple. Skill and ***** (bigger than the other guy's, no matter what he's on) and knowing your bike is going to do anything you ask of it. Being able to brake later, dive in deeper and come out faster and you can beat anyone.

Disclaimer: This is not an endorsement for the dangerous act of street racing and I assume no responsibility if I beat you. That's just the way the cookie crumbles

Last edited by wooferdog; 06-12-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by wooferdog
Hurricanes were already built as high performance machines.................... That's just the way the cookie crumbles
Yep! They were the fastest production machine at the time and they did handle back then. You can't make a 1969 Camaro compete against a '69 Corvette anymore than you can a 1969 Corvette against a new Corvette. Ain't gonna happen. Gotta stay in your class. Gotta be a big dog to run with the pack.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EpicLife
ok i see what u guys mean , was just wondering if anything on the engine was interchangeable with anything else . me and the guys work on honda cars and alot of the stuff are interchangeable with one another and was wondering if it could apply ot this perticuler bike
Ahh, I see what you mean. The answer is basically no. These particular cbr engines are quite unique.
I've worked on many honda cars as well and I know what you mean about interchangeability between certain series, but you really aren't going to find that with a 1000F and any other CBR.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I know what you mean about interchangeability between certain series
The small block Chevy had a lot of interchangeable parts. You could steal fuelie heads, duel pumper and cams off your brothers Corvette and make grandma's Nova burn rubber.

I agree that EpicLife won't find that here. Same results with same parts.

I have an article that says top end on theses bikes is 176mph. Best thing and maybe cheapest thing is what has been mentioned, lower gearing.

If your not hitting red line on the longest straight in top gear, your geared to tall.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
I have an article that says top end on theses bikes is 176mph. Best thing and maybe cheapest thing is what has been mentioned, lower gearing.

If your not hitting red line on the longest straight in top gear, your geared to tall.
Or you're just a little to big and act as a air brake (we won't discuss my weight) I've tried different gearing and still have never been able to get above 165. With the stock gearing I get up to about 155-160.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have followed this thread with a kind of "reserved interest" if that is the right terminology?

The old CBR still gives me a bit of a thrill every time I select the correct gear and give it the big noise that will take me from a respectable 120km/hr to a license losing 200km/hr in a very short fashion.

If I wanted Yam R1 performance, maybe I should have gone and shelled out the bucks and bought an R1 right from the start (maybe 10x what the Hurricane cost?)

But I also respect your desire to seek ultimate top speed, if the Bonneville Salt Flats is your aim, just say so and I'm sure we'll come up with some good ideas.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
I have followed this thread with a kind of "reserved interest" if that is the right terminology?

The old CBR still gives me a bit of a thrill every time I select the correct gear and give it the big noise that will take me from a respectable 120km/hr to a license losing 200km/hr in a very short fashion.

If I wanted Yam R1 performance, maybe I should have gone and shelled out the bucks and bought an R1 right from the start (maybe 10x what the Hurricane cost?)

But I also respect your desire to seek ultimate top speed, if the Bonneville Salt Flats is your aim, just say so and I'm sure we'll come up with some good ideas.
After a lot of thought about this today, I think Tony is right. Younger riders may be looking to seek the "something ultimate". For bragging rights or whatever.

At this age and stage of my life. After 40 plus years of riding, many crashes, 4 total wrecks that I was lucky enough to walk away from, a few lost buds and a close friend on one leg from a crash. Over the years something has changed in me.

So it seems to me, at this point in my life, I'm looking to be a more perfect rider. Call it Zen if you will, but nothing beats taking a corner perfectly and trusting your mates to hold their lines at kill-us-all speeds. My bike is old. So am I. My bike is fast. So am I. Me and the bike both survived this long for a reason I guess. Every experience on it is new and more are waiting to be enjoyed.

Rain or shine.

Fast or slow.

It's perfect

F*cking perfect

Last edited by wooferdog; 06-13-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason I didn't buy an R1 is because I feel like a monkey f@#$ing a football when riding they are so damn uncomfortable. I love the way the CBR rides and would like to get every bit of grunt available. I am running -1 +2 sprocket setup. Seems like there are a lot of suspension upgrades/swaps but not much on the motor.

Quick Reply: just curious to know :)