CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

It's alive!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 05:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's alive!!!

Finally after about 8 months the old hurricane has been brought back to life. Smashed an alternator tensioner for the second time so took my time checking & just had a cash flow problem. Replaced the tensioner, alternator chain, cam chain, & the two bearings on the end of the counter shaft while I was at it. I replaced the oil pump chain last time. I also checked the valves, adjuster the balance shaft & cleaned & adjusted carbies ( not tuned yet). Naturally I had a couple of misshaps along the way but nothing damaging. Took the bike for a short ride just to put air in the tires etc. with no fairing on & filthy dirty but oh how I missed the feel of being on two wheels. I honestly don't know how some people cope spending years doing a complete restoration without another bike to ride. I can't wait to change the oil, clean the old girl up & go for a decent ride to bed in the new parts.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Noe
Default RE: It's alive!!!

Hey, thats good news! I to never understood why i didn't ride a bike for three years, but never again! Riding a bike is what it's all about

Old 10-31-2007, 02:55 PM

Try a departure for 25 years, every time you hear or see a bike your head just about turns a full 360 degrees or your go into a day dream of remembering how it was just you and your bike and the open road.

I guess for me it was called responsibilities family house etc, Hah !!!!!!!! now that I have been back in the saddle for 2 years its called "Spending the Kids Inheritance " Now I ride my Blackbird every single day and it our preferred transport on a trip, Ahhhhhhhhhh the good days have returned.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:41 AM

I know what its like being without a bike for numerous years which is why it hurt so much not having the 1000f running. I swore that I'd never be withouta bikeagain until this one blew up. Now the day I was hoping to go for a good trial ride it decides to rain. Mind you the rain is very welcome as we are in the middle of the worst drought in Australia's history.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 AM

Hey I wish it woud rain up here Gladstone for about 10 days, we are approx 600 Kls from Brisbane and it looks like we wont have water in about 5 years time if we dotn get some decent rain. Sure its good to go ridign anytime with out gettign wet but at what cost ??

Old 11-01-2007, 02:58 AM

Hey Blue

sounds like you done some major work there, Hope you can get back on the old girl and get some good trouble free riding out of her for a good while, don't worry about the rain it will come, we just have to be conscious of how we use the water.

cheers

Old 11-02-2007, 02:44 AM

I'm certainly not complaining about the rain as I ride in all weather. I just didn't want the maiden ride to be wet. I'll bet the people from Gladstone can't remember what rain looks like. It's dry up there!! 88_f is right. It will come one day so all we can do is just be careful with the precious little we have. Due to the price rises forecast due to the drought I started to grow my own veggies using my tank water, but that's another story for another section.
Took the cane out today for a ride & a wash. Needs a tune, but she's quiet &smooth. So far no leaks either. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-02-2007, 06:30 PM

Hey waz i know what you mean, sold my kawi turbo in 1987 ,family responsabilities and bought my new girl this year . But all the time it never left my mind.

I feel alive and the wife loves it tooo ....

Carl aka Dragon64

Old 11-05-2007, 12:11 AM

Once a bike rider always a bike rider. It gets into the blood & never comes out. I used to be in theM.R.A. years ago & we always heard about guys that were in wheelchairs from bike accidents that would be taken out by others for a ride. Like I said, once a rider always a rider.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:05 AM

Good to here that you got the bike up and running, and touch wood, that it stays that way. Where did you finally get the bearings from in the end?

Quick Reply: It's alive!!!