CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Insurance in UK

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance in UK

Hiya Guys,
Just a reminder that Insurance in the UK, as we all know is ascam and to haggle as much as poss when renewing. My quote for fully comp from Bennetts came in at around the £200 mark. That isnt bad by any standard, BUT 'TheBikeInsurer' could do it for under £100. Bennetts did some off-phone talking and reduced my quote to £128, which I took, AND (and for me this is a big plus) they will now allow (as per cars for MILLENIA) me to ride mates bikes under 'third party' cover.

How does these prices stack up across the pond from us UK guys? I am 43, 3 years no claims, and no accidents or convictions...

Just interested to know if insurance is just another case of "Rip-Off-Britain"

Ara

Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Insurance in UK

My rate is over 200 pounds (equiv) pa, full no claim, but a 300 pound excess on damage.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:41 AM

I used Bennetts last year who promptly scammed my credit card,

This year motorcycle direct Fully Comp
Premium
£114.06

Excess
£200.00

Legal Protection £20.00

Protected No Claims Discount

With 1 SP30 & 1 Non fault accident & ride any other bike 3rd Party.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I am with Bennetts and doing it on line was only £76 for third party fire and theft for me at 33 with 9 years no claims!!

Jules

Old 07-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I pay around $80 US (about £40.30).
The only coverage that gets you is if you put your bike through someone’s house.
My father died in a bike crash, no other vehicles, and the insurance payout was zero.
You can pay more for fire and theft but after a few years the price of a replacement bike would be cheaper.
In the states, a bike like the Hurricane is relatively safe. The crooks are after the higher priced bikes (HD's).
They are looking for bikes that they can part out.

My friend slid his ST1100 (Pan-European) down the road. He had full coverage on it.
$450 x 7years = $3150
He got $3100 from the insurance company and bought the bike back from them and fixed the bike for $3100.
Had he not bought the bike back, they would have given him $4200.

I was talking with a guy who had a custom HD stolen. He had $35,000 invested in it and had full coverage. His insurance did not care what he had to say about it. They said that the book value of the model HD was (MSRP) $14,999 new. They take the average of wholesale and retail and come up with a payment, in this case, $9,200 at the time. This was a big lose for that guy. He told me that he would never again customize a bike for that kind of money. Be careful when you customize your vehicles. The insurance companies only go by the book value. If you gold plate the thing, you still get less than book due to depreciation.

Edit: It's everywhere, not just the UK.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:03 PM

Evening All,
Wise words about customising vehicles. In the UK a customised bike can be a nightmare for a crashed rider. Insurance companies will try to wiggle out of paying for cusomised jobs. In MCN a few months ago, there was even talk of insurance companies not paying out if you had changed the tyres from the original brand! They backed down over that one, but it just proves what a scam it can be. Maybe some of the Aussie guys can tell us how it is for them. Am I right in assuming that the purchase of petrol includes some form of third party mandatory cover? If we had that over here, there wouldnt be any uninsured probs when a cage driver does the old "sorry didnt see you" pantomime.....

Ara

Old 07-05-2008, 05:57 PM

I pay AU$200 a year for Full coverage
I haven't hear about the petrol thing, rego covers 3rd party personal insurance
Petrol here is $1.57 per Litre - it's rainng here on the Gold Coast, the bike is outside cause of too much **** in garage and I'm working today(Sunday)

Old 07-06-2008, 02:55 AM

I pay £131.00. This covers me for bike value of £5000.00 agreed. Unlimited mileage, 2up and legal withbreakdown cover uk and europe The only thing that they don't go well on is helmet and leathers. This I cover from the househild insurance.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:12 AM

Insurance Companys will only pay out book price even if you have an agreed value!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:36 AM

Here in Nova Scotia, I pay $350.00 can dollars per yearfor Public Liability and Public Damages. I have no collision. fire or theftas it would certainly double. (so no stealing my horse guys!!) registration fees are $35.00

Fuel just went up to 1.45 per liter for the good stuff. Althought I guess its pretty steep in the UK according to the newspaper.

end of the day, insurance companies dont fall much further from the honest treethan lawyers....bastards!!

Quick Reply: Insurance in UK