CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

insurance

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insurance

I'm shopping insurance and it looks like that may very well be a deciding factor in my new 'used' ride. I've used the VFR, the 'Busa and a GSXR1k as comparisons and the 'Busa is the most expensive every time. The high quote has been over 2k/year through McGraw. The lowest has been 877/year through Geico for the 'Busa, the GSXR and an RC51 and half that for the VFR. All bikes were 2001 for the sake of argument with 'full' coverage & deductibles at 500 bucks. I'm 34 with a clean record and no claims for over 5 years, single, former CMSP and MSF instructor (discounts for that through some compaies) and tired of needing a jar of KY when I get quotes. I hear State Farm is pretty good but you have to insure your 4 wheeled animal through them too.

Who do you guys/gals use and how bad does it hurt the wallet?

Old 10-25-2005, 05:02 AM
Default RE: insurance

try Grange insurance

Old 10-25-2005, 06:53 AM

I have Progressive on my 96. I have 3 cars with Geico and called them for a quote on the bike. They were twice as high as progressive even though I have the autos with them. Lady on the phone thought she was giving me a great deal till I told her what I ws paying now
$180/year full coverage. My deductable is low, I believe it's $100. 47, clean record with MSF and HRCA discount.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Call Progressive, they insure most motorcyclist.
I'm 45 yo., married, own 3 cars, clean record, home owner, MSF course and paid $87 for $500K total liability coverage only.
Now, I went to $10K Medical coverage and 25/50/25 for $250 comes out to $20.83 per month.
It means $25K coverage per person up to $50K per accident and $25K for property damage $10K for my medical bills.

The reason I changed is, most accidents are caused by cagers that don't look out for motorcyclist.
They are safely protected within the confines of their cage, so is hard to hurt them.
In an accident, I'm the one most likely going to get hurt.
And even though I carry full personal medical insurance, they have high deductibles.
Also, some things won't be covered and the $10K medical coverage will take care of all that.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:31 PM

In the USA Doesn't your registration cost cover your meducal insurance? (It does here)

Old 10-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave nothing to chance my friend...full coverage is the way to go. I was with Geico Cycle but they would only give me liability because I own my bike. I was hesitant to go with State Farm because of the "You'll have to insure your automobiles with us for us to give you full coverage" speech. I wasn't having it for I had a great rate with another company. I have an '04 Explorer XLT, a '94 Cadillac STS V8 and my '01 Honda CBR 929 RR. I was paying about $140/month for full coverage and roadside assistance with the works on my SUV and Caddy. I was paying about $68/6 months for liability on my bike. After seeing first hand a few bikes go down that I only avoided for God's sake and my MSF/rider experience, I wanted full coverage. I finally went with State Farm...guess what...$160.00/month Full Coverage on the Explorer, the Caddy and the Honda...roadside assistance...rental vehicle...the works. State Farm is A+ in my book.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided not to get full coverage - dang it. A few days ago the bike fell off the side stand (yeah, I know, never park in neutral) and put a five inch crack in the left front fairing. That piece of plastic will most likely cost far more to repair or replace than the policy premium. Incidently, I have all vehicles insured with State Farm, am 62 with a clean driving record, have no kids at home - the quote was $520+ / year, or about $43 / month. Most likely that is in part predicated on a short motorcycling season in Montana. By the way, State Farm's vehicle coverage is great. Go for full coverage if there is a chance of dropping your bike or having it stolen.

Old 10-26-2005, 01:45 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Full coverage is justified if, your bike is worth more than a couple of the yearly premiums or if your bike is high on demand for thieves.
My '88 Hurricane at best is $2K, so the higher premiums for full coverage are not worth it.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:41 AM

living in bad, bad LA makes it essential to have full coverage

Mercury insures my cars and home but doesn't care for my 04 cbr1000rr
so after shopping on the phone for more than a week i finally got State Farm to quote me for abt $1000+/yr (25/50/UIM/UMPD/Comp/Collision + Medical payments)

just cannot do WITHOUT uninsured/underinsured motorist protection in LA ... dont wanna point fingers but we all know why
so far so good till i got icing on my cake last nite - State Farm reduced my premium cost to approx $834 after their actuaries ran my record for real ! woohooo

this is the 2nd bike insured w/State Farm ... i gotta give them full marks for professionalism

NOTE:
the quotes i've received for policies with lower liability sans medical from competitors like McGraw/Progressive/Farmers have ranged from $2000 to the KBB book value ... go figure !

Old 10-26-2005, 09:38 PM

Very interesting... Progressive has been the highest priced insurance company for any vehicle I have ever quoted by a HUGE margain. They make it so easy to check since I can do everything online. Their premiums are just too high and not having a local office where I can talk to some one face to face are deal killers for me.

Geico was super cheap in comparison and didn't care if I had anything else insured through them. State Farm has such good word of mouth that I very well may consider moving my truck/renters to them as well. I'll have to run quotes.

Thanks for the feedback!

Quick Reply: insurance