CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Importance of service?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importance of service?

I change my filter and oil every 6000k, coolant every 12,000k and check tyres, breaks, air filter on a regular basis, but the more mechanical servicing like carb balancing and valve clearances, are they important? My bike has 17,000k on the clock but has not had a proper 'Honda' service since the 6000k mark, 5 years ago...
It starts and runs fine, engine sounds smooth, no rattles, smoke, knocking or other signals that its out of tune, just wondering if it should be done? I don't want to do it myself as I have little mechanical knowledge other than the basic stuff.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Importance of service?

ORIGINAL: Coopz

I change my filter and oil every 6000k, coolant every 12,000k and check tyres, breaks, air filter on a regular basis, but the more mechanical servicing like carb balancing and valve clearances, are they important? My bike has 17,000k on the clock but has not had a proper 'Honda' service since the 6000k mark, 5 years ago...
It starts and runs fine, engine sounds smooth, no rattles, smoke, knocking or other signals that its out of tune, just wondering if it should be done? I don't want to do it myself as I have little mechanical knowledge other than the basic stuff.
I think you need to ride more lol. I change my oil n filter every 3k. 6k is pushin it IMO. Far as the honda service thing goes. They mostly check things out n only actually do whats needs to be fixed. If it isnt running badly, ticking etc, it all sounds fine. 17k aint shyt for mileage. I have 42k on my 00 F4 and she still runs like a top.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oil and filter every 5000K's, just replaced cam chain, stator, and reg rec unit at 60,000 K's.Clutch done at 40,000K's, easy job, just follow the book.Headlight bulbs about every two years, as we ride with them on 24/7.
Check wheel bearings and coolant every 10,000k's. Tyres last around 13,500 K's. Hasn't seen a mechanic at a bike shop in YEARS(other than for tyres and wheel balance). The Forum helps a lot, and I trust their judgement here......
Bike runs like a sewing machine, and she's 18 years old......

Old 02-11-2008, 03:38 AM

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

ORIGINAL: Coopz

I think you need to ride more lol. I change my oil n filter every 3k. 6k is pushin it IMO. Far as the honda service thing goes. They mostly check things out n only actually do whats needs to be fixed. If it isnt running badly, ticking etc, it all sounds fine. 17k aint shyt for mileage. I have 42k on my 00 F4 and she still runs like a top.

Bought the bike in November last year with 6000k on it, done 17,000 now

Changing every 3000k seems overkill for me, I use fully synthetic oil, seems to retain its purity a lot better than mineral oil, last oil change it still looked fairly clear and clean.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:10 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At 17000 K's it's not even run in yet, Coopz.....!! he he Keep with what you're doing, bike will last forever......

Old 02-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Hey Coopz, I think you're just fine on the 6k for oil changes. In fact Honda recommends 8k for oil and 4k for the filter. I figure Honda know's what they're talking about. I'm curious, 17k. Is that killometers or miles ? Since you're doing the other maintenance, do you have a desire to learn how to do the other. Carb synchronization is not difficult, but you need a tool. As for the valves, it certainly helps to have the special wrench, but it's not necessary. If you've got the shop manual, it lays it out pretty well for the procedures. As to your question, it's hard to say. I can tell you that I didn't adjust my valves until it had 24k miles on it. It was rattling by that time and it did need to be done.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: idodirt
In fact Honda recommends 8k for oil and 4k for the filter.
I think you've gotten those numbers reversed.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

You're rightPacojoseph, I stand corrected. Honda actually reccomends replacing both the oil and filter at 8000 miles.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10297/2EC7A2F7F74C42AC8AAD618511C926D8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-11-2008, 01:46 PM
dad

All sounds good but do that first valve adjustment. Concern is for ones that go tight and don't rattle. After the first one it's not as critical as the valve train does tend to settle down and stabilize. It's the tight ones that do real damage anyway, not the loose ones.

If the brake fluid looks brown, change it. If the levers or throttle aren't freely operating take them apart and clean and lube them. Check the dust boots on the pins that go into the master cylinders for cracks. Replace as needed. A careful look over everything at least once a year is always wise. Otherwise all sounds good.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:47 PM

Hi all mine has 93505km and runs just like anew engine, change thecam chain and the tensioner and also the thermostat. I dothe oilchange every 5000k and use semi synthetic. The only i did was to put a manual switch on the cooling fan ..other than that it runs just as new.

Quick Reply: Importance of service?