CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

I'm having one of those....moments

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm having one of those....moments

I'm severely tempted for a new bike. I've found a Buell Ulysses XT with stupid low miles and in my price range (helps that it's all of 20 miles away). The problem is I would have to get rid of the CBR (keeping the Burgman).

I'm kinda attached to the CBR as I know everything that goes wrong and how to fix it. Plus I already have all the tools made for it. Now I'd have to switch over to SAE tools.

Although the XT comes with a rear rack already so Sprock can't hold that against me anymore

So who wants to buy a heavily used 94 1kF for $1k

Old 11-05-2011, 02:31 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your loss would be someone elses gain, why even sell the cbr if you will only get $1000? $1000 would hardly cover maintenance and oil costs for a month of ownership of the Beull.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Really, a Buell Ulysses XT ,over a CBR1000F, have you ridden one? Do you drive on a lot of dirt roads? My real ? is why? Do you want to just try something different? I know that feeling but after having 3 newer bikes I returned to a CBR1000F. You'll miss it and just because the Buell is cheap for one now, and they have the best aircooled HD engine and probably the most reliable one sold in HD stores. It is not a bad bike but not a earth shattering great one either. They make it seem like you are going fast, but only you know if it is what you want. I think you'll regret selling the CBR for a grand even if could buy the Buell for the same money. Why not buy a really good newer bike like a Kaw C14 but even then thats just something only you can know why you need it.
Or just buy the Buell and save it till spring then unload it and keep the CBR, don't let the new bike bug get you its a plague that if you give into it it keeps calling. What don't you like about your CBR anymore or is it just the mileage, as it will go 2 more of those odometer without much more than routine maintenance. My old CBR1KF is pushing 230,000 miles you have already done the 1st hundred thou, Try that on a Buell. Good Luck on whatever you decide.

Dub

Old 11-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be a bit like trading a silk purse for a sow's **** IMO
The Buell will never be anything like as good as the 1000F - I've ridden one and I couldn't give it back quickly enough. Short-wheel based tractor IMO.....I hated it.
But that's just how it struck me - each person has their own views. The Buell is now part of history, of course.........I'd be surprised if it lasts anywhere near as long as the mystique of the 1000F.
I wouldn't straight-swap my 21 year old 1000F for a brand new Buell

Old 11-05-2011, 06:35 PM

Ok, I'm coming back from my moment of weakness and focusing it on a different bike: 2007 FJR1300........

and a Buell XB12RSuzuki GSXR750 (I need something a little sporty, call it my mid-life crisis)

Last edited by malbojah; 11-05-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

okay so maybe we're back in the welding game ....... !!!!!!!!

you know if you sell the 1000F you'll be sorry addin' another bike is fun tho' !!!!!

Old 11-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Originally Posted by malbojah
Ok, I'm coming back from my moment of weakness and focusing it on a different bike: 2007 FJR1300........)
Hey:

Well at least the 2007 FJR1300 is a good bike, but not really any better than the CBR about the same power just a little different delivery, pretty smooth, with great brakes, but they are frickin heavy about a 100 LBs more than CBR1KF so thats not really an upgrade is it. If your looking at one of these, unless you have something against Kawis, the KAW C14 is the only really big bike like this that is better than what you own now, anything else is an also ran, and not nearly as good for the money. I have almost went down that path with a zx14 a few weeks ago, and the C14 is just about the same bike with bags. they are very good bikes. And very hard to find used as the owners tend to keep them just like your CBR.

and a Suzuki GSXR750 (I need something a little sporty, call it my mid-life crisis)
Well depending on what year, they can be awesome great to pretty good. they don't have a real good resale value around here like the GSXR 1000 do, but are a nice bike for solo riding.
I would also ride a used CBR 600RR, KAW ZX9/ZX10, 08+ CBR1000RR, or Yam R1 all better sport bikes IMHO. Also any of the older Fireblades 900RR, 929RR, 954RR or 04-07 1000RRs are good but not as good as the 08 + CBR1000RRs, as they are fantastic sport bikes, need I say more on that. I have to steer myself away everytime I see a Repsol 08/09 forsale, they are that good. And some of the deals on new bikes are hard to beat just walk into any Kawi, Yam, Suzi, Triumph, or Honda dealership and see what they can do, you may be in for a pleasant surprise.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 11-05-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are no where near a mid-life crisis, but with a 100k on the clock it may be time to try something new. Define the mission and then shop for the tools to complete it.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by CBR1988
Hey:

Well at least the 2007 FJR1300 is a good bike, but not really any better than the CBR about the same power
130hp vs 100hp

just a little different delivery, pretty smooth, with great brakes, but they are frickin heavy about a 100 LBs more than CBR1KF so thats not really an upgrade is it.
try 40lbs heavier, and the C14 is 40lbs heavier on top of that.
Also
ABS, hard bags, electric windscreen, better alternator,...yes, yes it is

If your looking at one of these, unless you have something against Kawis, the KAW C14 is the only really big bike like this that is better than what you own now,
8k mile valve adjustment on the cbr, 12k mile on the C14+ kawi vtec to deal with, and wait for it...26k mile valve adjustment on the FJR

anything else is an also ran, and not nearly as good for the money. I have almost went down that path with a zx14 a few weeks ago, and the C14 is just about the same bike with bags. they are very good bikes. And very hard to find used as the owners tend to keep them just like your CBR.
Have you seen my CBR lately? The last time I took care of it was right before I crashed it back in 05' and 60k miles ago

Well depending on what year, they can be awesome great to pretty good. they don't have a real good resale value around here like the GSXR 1000 do, but are a nice bike for solo riding.
The only year I would be looking for it 04/05 (last year before emission crazed design)

I would also ride a used CBR 600RR,
too small physically

KAW ZX9/ZX10, 08+ CBR1000RR, or Yam R1 all better sport bikes IMHO.
way too much power

954RR
Only other one I might consider

Old 11-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy has a newer FJR and really likes it.
I don't think I'd by a buell, tho. lol..

Quick Reply: I'm having one of those....moments