CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

" if i had a hammer"

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default " if i had a hammer"

have you ever noticed how bike mags warn riders about modifying there bike, because it will effect the resale value. well i just dont get it. are people really riding around worrying about there resale value.

when i ride a bike its about me riding my bike and i could'nt give a knats boll**ks about the next owner if there ever is one.

dont be afraid to get out the irish screwdriver, any type will do, claw, lump or even ball pien. its your bike, make it suit you sir.

and if your really worried about the resale then next time buy a vw golf.

"now then where did i leave that hacksaw.......................

Old 03-27-2009, 08:44 PM

I wouldn't know.

In 20 years of riding, by the time I'm ready to buy a new bike its because the old one is only good for scrap

Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 PM

I haven't really noticed that, at least not in "Motorcyclist", which is the only rag I've read on a semi regular basis. There is some truth to the adage though, at least in the respect that many sellers who think that, "since I've modified my bike to the tune of $2000, then my bike should be worth $2000 more than the same bike in stock trim". These people are usually sadly mistaken. The point is, if you do mod your bike, don't expect to get your money back when it comes time to sell it. Secondly, the older your bike is., i.e., as it comes closer and closer to being collectable, the closer to stock, the more valuable. A pristine, completely stock 73 Kawi Z1 is probably worth quite a few bucks nowadays. A 73 Z1 that's been repainted, chopped and stretched is worth next to nothing.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:37 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I must agree with Pacojoseph on this
I've tried to keep mine as standard as possible, as it does improve the resale on older bikes.
But as Paddy says "it's YOUR bike"
Besides, there aren't that many mods for our bikes, anyway...........

Old 03-28-2009, 05:59 AM

I agree with paco and shadow and that is why when i changed my wheels to the one of a 94 cbr1000f i kept my old one and all the prts in boxes in case i sell it and the next owner wants to have the original ones...

Old 03-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I tend to do is keep the bits I take off, if I ever sell the bike the old standard bits will go back on and my new upgraded bits will be listed seperatly on ebay.

You never get a better price for a bike (or for that matter) becuase of mds you have made - but people seem to be happy to pay you for the upgrades seperatly

Old 03-28-2009, 07:49 AM
November 2009 ROTM

"If you cant fix it with a Hammer".............maybe somewhere along the line Spiggotpaddy is related to "Hawkwind".................just a thought.Hmmmnnn J/K

Old 03-28-2009, 12:09 PM

I like to keep mine pretty standard and will always keep the OEM parts just in case. I think there are a lot of aftermarket bits that are total rubbish, and I for one have spent several beer tokens on such tosh.

My favourite add ons my Pazzo levers and my Scorpion exhaust. Not sure which one my neighbours prefer!

Old 03-28-2009, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
I must agree with Pacojoseph on this
I've tried to keep mine as standard as possible, as it does improve the resale on older bikes.
But as Paddy says "it's YOUR bike"
Besides, there aren't that many mods for our bikes, anyway...........
Shadow.. i have to disagree with you on that... but also depends what kind of "mods" you are doing.?

My 93 has a few mods...new ignition coils and custom silicone wires and iridium plugs, V/H headers and 2Bro can, removed center stand, added new springs and Racetech valves to the forks, sintered"hh" shoes, custom repainted tank, HID's, LED Turn, brake and indicator bulbs, new pegs, Pazzo adjustable levers, screen mesh to cover side panel holes, Stage 1 kit for carb by Dynajet, added clock and VM, added gauge glow overlays, Stebler "Very Loud" horn, front and rear wheels stripped polished and powdercoated, custom covered corbin seat, replaced flasher unit with electronic version (goes along with speed for Turn LED's), swingarm spools and powdercoated black, keyless gas cap, new bar end weights,

so a few things, but when I sit on her, what a feeling almost perfection...

Old 03-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As I said Art, to each his own - that's a HELLUVA list - the mind boggles at the cost of it all. Mine has a full s/steel exhaust with bigger outlets, K&N filter, Dynojet kit, taller dark screen, Nonfango touring racks, blue Headlight bulbs, an uprated reg/rec and all the California emission plumbing gutted, so I guess she's not so standard any more, either.......

Quick Reply: " if i had a hammer"